Subscriber Discussion

Who Is This Manufacturer? Blue Mango

Joseph Trowbridge
Oct 02, 2013

Has anyone used these cameras and what results have you had with these?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2013
IPVM

I have never heard of Blue Mango nor can I find that much on the Internet about them (one promotion in SSI and one promotional comment on LinkedIn, that's it).

They seem to be a new / small company promoting / OEMing HD SDI DVRs. I doubt there's any real technology there beyond whatever they can source from Asia / re-sell in the US.

Is there some specific thing of interest you found or heard about this company?

Joseph Trowbridge
Oct 03, 2013

I am looking at a bid spec that specifies these recorders and cameras, never heard of them and was very surprised that they had already made it into a bid spec.

Needless to say I will probably pass on this opportunity, a regional health department that wants to integrate with their access system (WinDsx) and existing Blue Mango DVR.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2013
IPVM

Who is the consultant behind this one? :) smh

Joseph Trowbridge
Oct 03, 2013

No Consultant - done by the county goverment - looks like they just took the camera specs and printed the whole thing - they say alternates will be aqccepted but must work with their existing DVR (Blue Mango) and Access System (WINDSX)

JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2013
IPVM

Then I'd love to hear the sales pitch that got Blue Mango in there in the first place. I never understand why real end users buy no-name, non differentiated stuff. It always leads problems in the future for support, expansion, etc.

Joseph Trowbridge
Oct 03, 2013

I was in on the original project - there were no specs execpt that they wanted a camera here and there ect .. that had the capability to in the future to integrate into what ever access system that was selected for the same project - there were only 4 bidders - 3 of us were priced about the same for the project (between 28 to $30k) one of them (the "winner") was less than $18K - I guess the Blue Mango is what they used.

Carl Lindgren
Oct 03, 2013

They get a 4.0 out of 5 in user reviews:

Blue Mango

JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2013
IPVM

Image did not load. Even so, reviews where? Is this a joke or?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 03, 2013

Well my mother always told me if a mango was blue stay w away from it.

Carl Lindgren
Oct 03, 2013

It reminds me of an argument I had with a "manufacturer" years ago about cameras. The company was Sperry West and their claim to fame was their "Spyder Blue" cameras - among the ugliest I've ever seen:

Spyder Blue

"It’s bold shape and coordinated color, works together for maximum crime and vandalism deterrence."

It contains a cheap board camera with a fixed focus lens. And for those of you who claim real cameras don't have LEDs on the front:

"True Blue Beacon— You'll deter would-be perpetrators while reassuring employees and guests. The “true blue” LED, says Spyder is recording for you."

Sperry West

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions