Subscriber Discussion

Glass Break Sensor Recommendation

mh
mark holm
Aug 15, 2016

I have to monitor a series of first floor offices for intrusion. Can anyone recommend a reliable glass break sensor/system?  I'd like to tie them in to the ACS for monitoring.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I am curious about this too, especially the 'reliable' part which means accurate alarming when glass is broken.

Part of the curiosity I have: are glass breaks good sensors for detecting intrusion to begin with? With the vast range of tempered/untempered/wire/plate/double pane/thermal/argon filled/aluminum film glass types, do they all sound the same when broken? Do windows have the same sound signature as glass display cases? My anecdotal experience says 'No'.

From your post, you're looking for a commercial type for commercial applications, but most seem to apply to residential uses. I'll look/ask around too, and keep up with the responses here!

mh
mark holm
Aug 15, 2016

Is there a more reliable method to monitor glass than the audio sensor? What about something that attaches to the glass itself?

Brian Karas
Aug 15, 2016
IPVM

The audio glass break sensor was supposed to be an evolution from on-glass components like foil tape or stick-on shock sensors.

My personal experience (very limited in this area) is that glass breaks are often a backup or last resort option. The most challenging part of using them is how do you test them for the actual installation? The are glass-break simulators, but it can be difficult to predict how the actual windows in the actual room will sound when broken.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 15, 2016

Initially acoustic glass break detectors relied on the high pitched sound of glass breaking and were sold to be active at times when the business was closed and internal noises shouldn't exist. They needed to be mounted within about 15' of the glass to be protected (Bluegrass).

The variables that caused false alarms were outside noises and inside sounds like a telephone bell (yeah, the old one), birds and such.

Technology improved and the demand to provide detection while the building was occupied then gained momentum. Dual detectors that required a "shock vibration" and the sound of glass breaking were created (Intellisense).

On the glass peizo sensors were also being promoted instead of lead foil. This limited the detection to that piece of glass to allow the building to be occupied, but small chips in the glass hidden by the frames became an issue. So, they created a "thump and sound" on the glass detector (Sentrol).

All of which had variables that were out of the installers control. That included window drapes, the onset of metal Venetian blinds, flooring changes from carpet to hard and reverse, window tinting, safety glass and new requirements for it's use in commercial properties.

With that said, you have to know the type of glass, type of frame, environment and reliability to determine which of the several types of glass break detection to choose.

Yes, the horror stories are true, trucks that drove through windows undetected or dozens of false alarms because of hidden glass chips due to poor framing and telephone ringers requiring tape on them to change the frequency.

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 16, 2016

We have worked with audioanalytics and tried their glass breaking detection algorithm, and it works!

https://www.audioanalytic.com/

This solution needs to run audio analytics on the audio captured to distinguish if it's regular noise or glass breaking noise. you may try to talk with them to know the products that they recommend.

Greg M. Ray
Aug 16, 2016

I have used Honeywell Glass Breaks with success (read instructions). I can make FG730 trip without breaking glass with tester. LED's show different frequency's during testing and latching alarm feature if multiples on same loop. Here is a list of sensors:

http://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/0-001-273-01/Flexguard-Family-Featur-Chart.PDF

JR
Jeff Russo
Aug 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

DSC Neo series claims to have the most false alarm proof model. Wireless however so it is proprietary

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=2585

There is a video of this unit being tested where they wire up ~8-10 of the most popular models and test different situations and false alarms. This unit activated correctly on every test while others falsed at least once. I cant find the video any more

mh
mark holm
Aug 16, 2016

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. This is all good stuff.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions