Subscriber Discussion

Blackboard Integration

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 01, 2016

Anyone have experience Blackboard Transact . Specifically with their access control? I am familiar with the Company and its use on college campuses. The access control piece is a module, but when last visited the product, it was very basic I am interested more in how they compare with typical access system like Software House, Lenel, Genetec etc.. How are alarms handled? Can the system handle event linking? UL Listed (i.e. UL 294)? Alarm graphics? How is the communications handled? Display of alarm video? Any other issues?

I did note a previous discussion; but it dealt with VMS only.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 01, 2016

If you want a security or access control system, buy an access control system from an access control manufacturer. Blackboard's access product is not fully developed nor do they have the backing in their access control department to get a full blown competitive product out there. The reason blackboard installs occur is because of the situation you discussed, blackboard up sells the module. I'm not sure you would want to buy Softwarehouse at this point versus S2 which is Software house2. Personally I like RS2 with blackboard integration, but that's just me since Lenel is usually cost prohibitive. Just tie into their AD or LDAP database for user permission. That would be the easiest way to integrate it rather than going through the blackboard GUI.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 01, 2016

Thanks for the Blackboard issue confirmation. However, I Don't agree with you on S2 = Software House . The guy who started S2 and now the current President did start Software House. But they are two vastly different systems.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 02, 2016

Unless it was spun off, Blackboard is a VideoInsight OEM, and VI was bought by Panasonic. Can you be sure they will even exist moving forward?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 02, 2016

I think that Video Insight is an OEM of Blackboard. Blackboard is a pretty big operation with a global foot print. They are on thousands of campuses. Also embedded heavily in K-12. Their principal talent is to manage data. I am curious if they are like a Swiss Knife: Can do many things but none of them (in my case security) well. I also noted that they have "a partnership" with S2; so that makes me have a higher level of comfort with the security piece.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions