Subscriber Discussion

Black Borders In Milestone

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 14, 2017

Good day All,

I've decided to give milestone a look and installed the system. 

So far everything is very nice, and I like the power of this system, however, there is one thing that "bothers" me. 

While viewing a camera in a layout view (2X2, 4X4 Etc), I noticed that the cameras are not stretching in order to fill in their window and there are black borders that separate between the cameras.

Example of what I mean:

I understand that this is due to the resolution of the image, but on other VMS, each view completly filled the window of the layout, something like this:

My question: is this can be changed on the settings, or this is just how Milestone presents its live view? 

Thank you all in advance. 

Jared Tarter
Nov 14, 2017
Milestone Systems

Hi UI1,

If you go into Setup in the Smart Client, select one of the camera panes and look under the Properties pane on the right.  There is a checkbox called "Maintain image aspect ratio".  You can uncheck that box and then click the Apply All button at the very bottom to apply it to the rest of the cameras in the view.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 14, 2017

Just a personal preference, but I hate stretched views that distort the real image.  I just played around and didn't see the ability to modify this in Milestone, maybe I'm missing something.  But because I don't desire this feature, I've never looked before.

Sorry, wrote this before I saw Jared's response.

Josh Hendricks
Nov 14, 2017
Milestone Systems

Hi UI1, the two screenshots you provided show two different aspect ratios. The Smart Client screenshot shows four 4:3 camera streams on a 16:9 display. The second screenshot shows four 16:9 camera streams on a matching display.

You can eliminate the black bars if you uncheck "maintain aspect ratio" but I'm not a big fan of looking at distorted images. Ideally you would be able to go into the Management Client and change the resolution to something like 720p or 1080p which should help get rid of those black bars.

Sometimes due to a slightly different aspect ratio between the camera and display there might still be a slight border, and in that case you might uncheck the "Maintain aspect ratio" box as the distortion should be minimal at that point.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions