Subscriber Discussion

Beware Of Avigilon's Sales Tactics!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 02, 2016

A sister branch of ours had a prospect they were chasing and had bids in to a customer with a prime and alternate manufacturer product. The customer is an IT support company not a security company. After they spent a few weeks on it and both manufacturer options doing demos for the customer, they found out that Avigilon sold them direct at 50% off MSRP.

They confirmed this with an Avigilon rep who was surprised they found out and was told they would do it again if need be.

Has anyone else experienced this tactic?

(3)
JH
John Honovich
May 02, 2016
IPVM

So they sold direct to an "IT support company"? If this is the case, I assume that it's because that company was added as a dealer.

I know a number of non traditional security companies who Avigilon has made dealers.

Does that make sense? Am I missing something?

(2)
RW
Richard Williams
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I am sure your assumption is correct. They would have to have been added as a dealer. The questionable part is that it was in conflict with one of their own VAR's. How do you think this will affect the relationship between the two?

MM
Michael Miller
May 02, 2016

If anything it sounds like there was a lack of communication with the local rep. I have found that working with the local reps from any of our partners reduces the chances of this happening.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
May 02, 2016

Was the sale for the IT support company's own use or for resale to their customers?

RW
Richard Williams
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Own use.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
May 02, 2016

In that case, Avigilon will sell to end users in some cases. Definite channel conflict in my view.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
May 02, 2016

Maybe the IT customer was savvy and said let's just become partners what do we have to lose. IT customer reaches out to Avigilon and no one at Avigilon knows that " said IT company stretches the truth a little "hey are first order is for a demo system".

I have no how this went down I am just showing one way it could have.

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

They confirmed this with an Avigilon rep who was surprised they found out and was told they would do it again if need be.

1. Was the project registered?
  2. Was the local rep. informed or at all part of the sales process?
  3. Did the IT company contact Avigilon first?
  4. Did the IT company provide a resale license/tax id for this purchase?

IMHO, unless 3 and 4 are true, Avigilon should not have sold the product themselves.

MC
Marty Calhoun
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is there any State mandated licensing in place for bona-fide security dealers in your state? If so look up there credentials and 'help them' thru the process if they are lacking with a prompt call to the AHJ.

This type of situation is one of the few benefits of licensing dealers.

(1)
Mark Jones
May 03, 2016

The height of greed and arrogance. If they knowingly sold you out once, they will knowingly do it again.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 27, 2017

Frankly the random National, International, and Regional pricing schemes are what creates this kind of reputation and confusion in the market. While it is certainly their prerogative to price their products and place them in the market any way they choose, but Management in Sales, Marketing, and Administration clearly does not understand how their approach may be misleading to Dealers and End-Users alike.

In Avigilon's defense, they aren't the only company in our industry throwing off this type of message.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 27, 2017

Not sure you what you mean here.  Are you saying Avigilon has different price lists for National, International, and Regional dealers?   Do you have any proof of this?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions