Subscriber Discussion

Best Way To Secure A Frameless Glass Door?

Richard Lavin
Feb 02, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

I have a project that includes an office area that the client wants secured with card readers.  All of the door into this office area are 8' x 3' frameless glass doors in a glass curtain wall system.  Other than a single horizontal mullion right above the door, there is no other framing around the door.  Below is an elevation view I snipped out of Revit:

What options are there for securing this door other than a mag lock?

Richard Lavin
Feb 02, 2017

Some more info that I should have included:

This is new construction, so I can propose different door hardware to the architect.  I do think that they will be resistant to changing the door type to a framed glass door.  I might be able to talk them into top/bottom rails if they are very narrow.

Also, on the plan view, the architect is currently showing the door swing as swinging into the office space that they want secured.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Your options are fairly limited here.  You might look at the locks in this post: Glass Doors and Access Control:

We are aware of only one truly retrofit option for existing glass doors. Rutherford Controls International offers the 3360 and 3371 glass-door retrofit devices. They are neither a maglock nor strike, but are still abled to be locked/unlocked by standard door controllers:

Both products feature a 'swinging strikebox' that when locked is stationary and not not permit door swing. When unlocked, the motion of the door moves the strike box, and when door is closed the 'bolt' returns back into the box which returns to 'locked' position.

While the actions of the hardware are the same, the mounting surfaces differ. The 3360 is glued directly onto glass slabs, while the 3371 must be mounted into a door rail or accompanying frame. Both products are 'Fail Safe' devices, include Latch Monitoring switches, and are available in 12V or 24V DC types.

Pricing

Internet pricing for the 3371 is less expensive than the 3360, but requires additional labor and supplies to install:

• RCI 3360: ~$625 online, and includes materials and adhesive to prep doors for install.
  • RCI 3371: ~$400 online, but may require additional rail prep or mounting hardware.

Both devices are 'non-handed' and can be reversed in the field according to door swing. A potentially important constraint is the matter of exposed power wiring that must be run inside of conduit or otherwise concealed to prevent tamper. This conduit could disrupt the 'clean' installed appearance of the 3360 or require additional clearance inside the mounting rail of the 3371.

If possible, I'd press for at least a change to a top trim and frame piece that I could run mounting bolts into for a maglock.  Otherwise, it's going to be tough.

Hiding wires for the locks and readers are going to be tricky too!

(1)
Richard Lavin
Feb 06, 2017

Thanks for the info Brian.  There is a mullion that runs along the top edge of the door.  Looking at the info for the 3371, it looks like this device could be mounted in the mullion at the top edge of the door, correct?

Here is a snip from the 3371 cut sheet:

Also, If I'm understanding things correctly, I would need to provide a PIR REX device and probably an exit push button that would interrupt power to the 3371 (like what is required for mag locks) for someone exiting.  Correct?

Richard Lavin
Mar 14, 2017

Just FYI:

I was looking into the 3371 for the project mentioned above but could not find it on the RCI web site.  I emailed RCI sales and they told me that the 3371 is still available but it is a special order item now and has an 8 - 12 week lead time.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ouch, two to three months is a long time to wait.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Michael Silva
Feb 03, 2017
Silva Consultants

If you can't talk the architect out of using all-glass doors, my first hardware choice for doors of this type is the Blumcraft exit device used in conjunction with an electric strike at the head of the door. Blumcraft devices are made by CR Laurence.

There will be a need to provide a header at the top of the door on which to mount the strike, but if done properly, the visual impact should be minimal. Usually, stainless steel channels are also installed between the sections of glass to allow wiring to be run to the strike. In most of these applications, we install the card reader on a freestanding pedestal located outside of the door. 

There are a couple of articles already on IPVM that are also related to this topic:

What Is Your Preference For Access Control On Glass/ Aluminum Storefront Doors?

Exit Hardware On Glass Doors?

(2)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 03, 2017

Listen to Michael.

This is the ONLY proper solution for this scenario for anyone who is serious about access control on a glass door.

(1)
Richard Lavin
Feb 06, 2017

Thanks for the info Michael.  If I understand your proposed solution correctly, I would have to get the architect to reverse the swing of the door.  The architect is currently showing the door swinging into the office space the client wants to secure.  Is that correct?

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 06, 2017

I am not Michael, but I can confirm -- this is correct. The door would need to be an out-swinging door for this solution to work properly.

Michael Silva
Feb 07, 2017
Silva Consultants

Yes, that is correct, the door would have to be out-swinging.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions