Best Positioning Of Retail Cameras? (Cashier Unfazed By Gun In His Face)

JH
John Honovich
Apr 29, 2017
IPVM

Take a look at this video:

Beyond the cashier being unfazed by the gunmen, I was impressed by the positioning of the camera which provides a clear shot of the 'customer', the employee and the register with a relatively low and close camera install.

By contrast, more typically I see retailers use wide shots that are positioned way high producing bad angles, poor details, e.g:

What do you think? How have you seen retail cameras typically be positioned? What do you think is best?

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 29, 2017

The position is not bad but the compression is a little high for my likings.

Also if you notice the round never made in the chamber as the gun was jammed the whole time. 

(5)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 29, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Good eye. That's probably why the JJ employee was giving zero f@&$. He probably was laughing a little on the inside about the idiot who didn't know that when you rack the slide, you don't need to help guide it back forward. You simply pull back and release. If you can't even do that much, you aren't likely to be a very good shot either. Another rookie move is he seems to have his finger on the trigger the whole time. Little good/bad that does when your slide is jammed, but it goes to show his ignorance with firearms. 

(1)
(1)
MB
Matt Bischof
Apr 29, 2017

Given that many of these cameras are typically installed by an end-user when you're talking about a retail or convenience store type application, the quality of the video, and the set up thereof never surprises me.  A set up like the one in your Jimmy John's video, one that has clearly been professionally installed, speaks volumes about why end-user shouldn't be doing their own camera installed.

Marc Pichaud
Apr 29, 2017

This camera is obviously more pointed to watch out the cash register than to identifiy clearly a potential thief, straight to the face... fortunatley here the guy here is tall and the cap short .. ah ah ah

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I am amazed at the cashier. He took off the second glove like WTF, really, then tried to hand him the whole draw.

I need that cashier to come work for me

(1)
(1)
Ross Vander Klok
May 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If it is anything like the Jimmy John's by me the cashier was just too high to care about what was happening.  That camera angle and resolution is great though!  

(1)
(1)
Howard Kohnstamm
May 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Where's the camera mounted at eye level at the door looking back in order to get a nice clear image of the perpetrator's face?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions