Subscriber Discussion

Best Option For Connecting 2 Cameras Installed ~3/10ths Of A Mile From The NVR?

MD
Matthew Davis
Jun 15, 2017

I am currently bidding a project that requires two cameras be installed approximately 3/10ths of a mile from the NVR. The building is a storage unit that the customer wants to be monitored along with his main business. I have a clear line of sight to the building but it offers only power. I was thinking of using Ubiquiti  nano stations but I don't know if they will work at that distance. Any advise would be appreciated.

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jun 15, 2017

If you have clear line of sight they should work fine. I think the low end nanobeams are rated for 5-6 miles. I've done 0.5 to 1 mile with them and gone through some obstructions (mainly trees) without issues

(1)
FN
Frank Nelles
Jun 15, 2017

Matthew,you might try SiKlu license exempt mmmeter Wave EH -500, ok to 0.6 miles or EH-600 ok to 0.4 miles PtP.  60 -70GHz

( V-band)

Frank Nelles

Brian Karas
Jun 15, 2017
IPVM

From what is described in the requirements above, this does not seem like a job that requires millimeter wave equipment.

Siklu would make sense if there was heavy congestion in the typical 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands, or if there was a need for a very large number of cameras, demanding higher bandwidth.

However, a big tradeoff with Siklu is the price, it is likely going to be roughly 10x the price of Ubiquiti gear (Siklu online MSRP prices).

The Siklu equipment will also be less forgiving of misalignment in the installation, due to the narrow beam width. This does work to your advantage if you have line of sight, but only through a very narrow area, as the Fresnel zone of millmeter wave is much much smaller than 2.4 or 5Ghz equipment. 

We cover some of the other pros and cons of millimeter-wave wireless in our Siklu PtMP Millimeter Wave Wireless Examined report.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The Ubiquitis should work fine. Most of our installs are not that far but we do have some that are across entire apartment communities..

Ubiquiti has a map that you can use. https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/ptp

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 15, 2017

We have worked on UBNT radios for a 37mile link.  Your distance will not be an issue with the right radios and antennas. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 16, 2017

Check out the nanobeams or litebeams as they are much more directional (less interference for you and others). You will only need very low power levels for this distance and should have a very reliable link.

Other options are Cambium EPMP/Force180.

RH
Robert Henriksen
Jun 16, 2017

We've had very good experiences with the Nanobeams

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 16, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Using Nanostations in a PtP link these days seems silly when the NanoBeam AC, IsoStation AC/M5, and other more narrow beam antennas are available. For the few extra bucks, you can get the IsoStation M5, which has RF shielding integrated into the antenna. If you need more throughput (>100mbps), opt for the AC version.

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 16, 2017

Hopefully, they have fixed the issues with the link flap on the Nanobeams.  Never had any issues with Nanostation but lots of issues with Nanobeams.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 17, 2017

I use these for point to point no issues.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-high-power-long-range-150Mbps-wireless-outdoor-CPE-AP-ROUTER-waterproof-wifi-adapter-with/1740085048.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.cUuyon

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 17, 2017

Not on a customer's site I hope..

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 17, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

http://www.hxfsunrise.com/

A tech company that still uses a Flash based website can't be a bad thing, can it? I'm sure their firmwares are updated as often as their website. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions