Subscriber Discussion

Open Source VMS And Access Control Software?

VS
Valentin Scinteie
Mar 05, 2014

Can you please help with this request?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 05, 2014
IPVM

Can you say 'world's shortest list'? :)

On the VMS side, there is Zoneminder (Linux) and iSpy (Windows / freemium).

On the access control side, I don't think there is any.

VS
Valentin Scinteie
Mar 05, 2014

Thanks John, why do you think this list is so short?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 05, 2014
IPVM

Small market, lack of independent developers who are motivated and dedicated to doing this. That's my guess.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 02, 2016
IPVM

New addition to open source VMS: OpenCVR, under active development, looks promising.

DM
Duncan Miller
Feb 02, 2016

OpenCVR GUI looks like they are copying exacq. Very similar layout. What does everyone else think?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 02, 2016
IPVM

Duncan, OpenCVR's layout is very similiar to Exacq.

For others, here is OpenCVR's admin layout:

And here is Exacq's:

Brian Karas
Feb 02, 2016
Pelican Zero
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Interesting. Though I hope the guy is not really counting frames to determine speed.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 02, 2016
IPVM

Concerns over frame jitter throwing off accuracy or?

Btw, I couldn't find a link or source for his software. If anyone finds it, please share.

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Sure, Judder is one concern. Though he does seem to be running 60fps or higher, maybe its smooth enough.

The object detection and sizing would have to be pretty tight to get good accuracy.

In the top picture it seems to make a pretty good estimate of when the bus gets to the 'goalpost', the bottom one not so good.

Anyway, I don't doubt the conclusions he's drawing.

LB
Lee Brown
Feb 03, 2016

Aside from a the visual tree view control and admin panel similarity there are numerous profound differences in the makeup of OpenCVR and Exacq. Open CVR is closer to DW-Spectrum / NetworkOptix, owing to the developers use of QT5 than it is to Exacq which is authored using WX Widgets framework.

OpenCVR is likely the only cross-platform VMS that seeks to exploit the advantages of HDFS and Hadoop MapReduce.

"Hadoop MapReduce is a software framework for easily writing applications which process vast amounts of data (multi-terabyte data-sets) in-parallel on large clusters (thousands of nodes) of commodity hardware in a reliable, fault-tolerant manner."

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions