Subscriber Discussion

Best Low Cost Car/Auto Surveillance System

PK
Pushkar Katiyar
Jan 10, 2013
Surprisingly, many of our clients are asking for a low cost auto surveillance systems. Can you suggest any particular brand? Also, just wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with any Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers, assuming they are relatively inexpensive and a good value for the money.
AA
Aaron Auseth
Jan 26, 2013

I've been looking as the Axis product line for our security vehicles. Not sure about pricing, nor the expense to install. Not even sure if you can integrate with your VMS. Appears to be a stand alone unit.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2013
IPVM

The Axis offering is very expensive relative to the super low cost kits that most people in cars. It's not really a different purpose. Axis is a full fledge surveillance offering while the typical car kits are more like usb / flash cams.

PK
Pushkar Katiyar
Jan 26, 2013

I am in talks with some Chinese manufacturers about their Auto surveillance offerings. I have found this one that meets our requirements.

It has a 2MP camera that records on a microSD card and powers up using the car's 12v cigarette lighter unit. I am not sure about it’s performance in low light. My assumption is that a combination of high megapixel sensor and a small IRIS would make it a poor performer at night. I’ll research on the AXIS offerings next...

JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2013
IPVM

Btw, here's Amazon's top selling dash cameras. The list is pretty weak and buyers don't seem to be happy. This is weird as usually Amazon lists typically have a few very well reviewed options.

PK
Pushkar Katiyar
Jan 26, 2013

This one has some good ratings on Amazon.

HC
Hernan Carzalo
Jan 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Any IP dual dash cam? for front and cabin view. Must be IP.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2013
IPVM

Well what about using an IP camera? Are you looking for some specific feature typically found in dash cameras but not in standard IP cameras.

HC
Hernan Carzalo
Jan 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

The size and the mounting

Which standard IP camera fits as well as those chinese DVR+Double Camera ?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 27, 2013
IPVM

Have any of you checked out Dash Cam Talk?

It's incredibly sophisticated and detailed reviews of dashcams. I can't figure out who's behind it but it seems quite authentic.

HC
Hernan Carzalo
Jan 27, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Wow, great webpage. But I didn`t see a single IP camera.

Just this one with wifi.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 28, 2013
IPVM

Dashcam are a very cost competitive business with under $100 USD the norm and $250 camears consider very expensive.

It appears that IP connectivity would any unnecessary cost for the overwhelming majority of dashcam users who just want an all in one kit.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions