Subscriber Discussion

Best IP Camera In $500 USD Range

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 04, 2017

Hi guys

Any suggestions from your side for an IPC at around $ 500? (+/- 20%)

Important points for me: 

• Good WDR (no software WDR)
  • Face recognition
  • Virtual line crossing
  • Object missing
  • "Secure" software (not like HIK or Dahua)
  • "Nightvision" with IR (>20m)
  • Good image @ night
  • Resolution >1080p
  • Bullet (fixed or motorized lens)
  • Microphone

Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Jun 04, 2017
IPVM

#1, do you want varifocal and/or remote zoom controls? You don't mention that but those are one key factor impacting price.

And how important is on-board face recognition, virtual line crossing and object missing? Lots of cameras have at least 2 of those 3 but most are not terribly robust / accurate.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 04, 2017

#1: At the moment I have a really cheap (also poor img quality) IPC with 2.7-12 varifocal lens. (No PT) I have it mostly on 2.7. used 4-5 times the varifocal option. And I liked it. Would be nice if the new one has this also or at least a very good digital zoom. 

#2 This IVS things its just a nice to have. I expect something like a push notification saying: "Tom entred your property" or "unknown person entred your property" based on the face and this line. 

JH
John Honovich
Jun 04, 2017
IPVM

I expect something like a push notification saying: "Tom entred your property" or "unknown person entred your property" based on the face and this line.

That combination is sort of science fiction, if you expect it to work regularly. To the extent that face recognition works, it works in tighter / closer range while typically line crossing is used in wider / farther out areas.

Also, facial recognition built into cameras (i.e., the camera determining it's john or jay or joseph, etc.) is quite rare while facial detection built into cameras (i.e., the camera determines there is a face in the picture but without determining who's face) is more common.

All that noted, $500 in 2017 for an IP camera can get you quite a lot. When you say "Secure" software (not like HIK or Dahua)" do you mean no Hikvision or Dahua cameras allowed or just that you don't want to use their VMS / NVRs? If you are open to using Hik or Dahua cameras, there are clearly lots of cameras that meet your specifications.

Beyond that, the two most common higher-end cameras chosen by integrators are Axis and Avigilon, though Bosch, Hanwha/Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, to name a few are found in this category.

Take a look at our Camera Finder where you can enter in what specs you want to pick cameras. It will return a list of matching cameras including within a price range, e.g., here are 30 cameras, 1080+, true WDR, IR >20m, bullet form factor.

Btw, you will have a lot more options if you are open to domes as advanced features are more common in domes than bullets.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions