Subscriber Discussion

Best IP Camera Brand: Cyber, Function, Value? (1,200 Cameras Over Next 3 Years)

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Dec 02, 2017

Have an upcoming project to modernize our analog inventory, currently 300 cameras with plans to add another 1,200 over the next 36mths.

Mix of interior, exterior, fixed, PTZ, IR and presently on Genetec.

I'm looking to standardize on a single manufacturer for ease of LCM. So if you could could pick, who would it be?

Corporate stability and maturity of cyber strategy will be a major component, equally to features and functionality (edge analytics and storage).

My gut tells me Axis, some recommend Bosch, have Panasonic but not seeing anything that sets them apart.

Thoughts?

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 02, 2017

Hanwha is a good option to those above as well.  

(1)
(1)
Brandon Knutson
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've grown into a huge Hanwha fan (end-user). Good value. Large and varied product selection. Commitment to cyber security. South Korean ownership. 5 year warranty when bought through gold or national partners. Easy settings & firmware management with Wisenet Device Manager. Excellent service and advice through their regional sales manager.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 02, 2017
IPVM

#1, given that you are on Genetec, Hikvision's out... Since you what corporate stability, Dahua's out... Also, as Panasonic has become more tied to Video Insight VMS, that's probably less attractive.

Axis is certainly the safest choice.

Hanwha is a common budget option / alternative to Axis (note #2 is not from Hanwha).

Avigilon is certainly another major player, though since you are on Genetec that reduces some of the value of going with Avigilon. If you are open to switching VMS, then you should consider Avigilon for cameras.

Another of the more premium brands is Sony, though they don't have as broad a camera portfolio as other majors, so its worth carefully looking at that.

Finally, for lower cost, Asian, Vivotek is a sizeable lower-cost provider.

Related: Favorite Camera Manufacturers 2016 (Note: We'll be doing the 2018 version in 2 months).

(5)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 02, 2017

In terms of cooperation with Genetec, 

You can’t go wrong with Axis, Bosch with chave is a promising commitment, Vivotek and Hanwa are also showing a lot of promise as the integrate with Stratocast / Genetec protocol etc.

(3)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Dec 03, 2017

Thx John and looking forward to the 2018 version.

Would LOVE to see a chart showing which brands are OEM'd, ownership by country, recent mergers or acquisitions, total of cyber-vulnerabilities in past 24mths by severity (H/M/L) and "black-listings" from government contracts  or VMS providers. 

I've been wanting to put somthing like this together, but getting my hands on the data is a challenge. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 03, 2017
IPVM

#1, for OEM listing, see: Dahua OEM DirectoryHikvision OEM Directory

We don't have ownership by country.

For vulnerabilities, see: Directory of Video Surveillance Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities and Exploits (not: @BRK, let's make sure it's updated for the number of ones in the last month).

As for blacklistings, it's really mostly Hikvision and Huawei. Related - Fortune 500 Company Bars Dahua and HikvisionUS Air Force Cancels Hikvision RFQHikvision Barred From US City Housing Authority Bid

(2)
MB
Mark Bottomley
Dec 06, 2017

If you are using Genetec, then you should probably spec that the camera(s) provided are in the Genetec supported device list. It prevents some of the questionable brands from being offered (assuming you can't just pick a brand for your RFP).

DH
Damon Hood
Dec 06, 2017

Undisclosed End User, I have been putting in IP cameras for about 5 - 6 years now. We have over 1800 IP cameras deployed. we have exclusively put in Axis cameras. The reasons we stay with Axis are the following:

1. Portfolio - many different models

2. Features available

3. Support from Axis

Axis has come through for me more than once. Provided me with loaner cameras to test fit them to determine which camera would work best in my application. Worked with me to design customer brackets to fit cameras in certain applications when commercial off the shelf brackets would not do. Taken my feedback with regard to potential future camera designs and features.

I just cant speak highly enough about the support I get from Axis.

(1)
(2)
SE
Sam Eskew
Dec 06, 2017

You should look at the overall system capabilities of Avigilon. Excellent investment. 

That being said, Axis makes fine equipment and Genetec makes fine software. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Dec 06, 2017

Dear undisclosed end user #1

my recommendation is to pick a manufacturer with a strong Cyber protection Policy and actively tests products against new threats continuously.

Here are some questions to ask of your integrator / selected manufacturer to assist, assumption being the chosen product allows the settings to be selected to protect your network.

Plus as end user take ownership of fire wall / administration and access / passwords and so forth so you own the devices and all access to them never get held to ransom.

Yes

No

Don't Know

Have all default passwords been removed from the systems?

p

p

p

Do all users of the systems have their own passwords, and are not using any generic passwords i.e. User: Security P/W: Security?

p

p

p

Have administration rights been managed correctly for these users?

p

p

p

Are all unused user profiles removed?

p

p

p

Do full administration rights lay with you the end user, or your installation company?

p

p

p

Are all devices and applications running the latest versions of firmware/software?

p

p

p

Does your maintenance contract state software updates are included?

p

p

p

Are communications between devices secure and encrypted?

p

p

p

Are the systems behind their own physical firewall?

p

p

p

Are your systems installed on separate VLAN’s?

p

p

p

Are all installed switches ‘smart’ with individual ports locked down to the MAC address of the device connected?

p

p

p

Are unused ports locked off?

p

p

p

Are any unused communications protocols tuned off? i.e. Telnet on cameras.

p

p

p

Does equipment installed have no known ‘back doors’?

p

p

p

Is remote access to systems provided by secure VPN, or unsafe Port Forwarding/Network Hole Punching?

p

p

p

Does your maintenance provider run their own cyber protection policy?

p

p

p

Are system backups being carried out and securely stored?

p

p

p

(1)
Sagy Amit
Dec 06, 2017

since you have an established relationship with Genetec and assuming you trust your rep, you should ask them to recommend a camera manufacturer they work with best. The “one neck to choke” approach will make YOUR life easier in the long term.

(1)
RB
Rafael Batistuta
Dec 07, 2017

The one thing I am sure is that any government will not confirm Chinese CCTV for high security place. Axis & Samsung Wisenet will be the best option.

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Dec 07, 2017

I work for a VMS company - and we support a lot of different camera manufacturers.  I have cameras from every vendor mentioned here and many that were not, hooked up in my lab.  My engineering team prefers Axis cameras above all others.  Obviously Axis is not the least expensive, but you'll have to evaluate the cost on your own.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #6
Dec 07, 2017

When I started 8 years ago we had a system of 16! sorta functioning analog cameras, since then we chose a VMS (Milestone Corporate) and 90% of the 292 cameras are Axis. Both companies (through dealers) have been very responsive to issues I have had. Axis is very quick to get a camera replaced if it has an issue. Axis and Milestone are not the cheapest, but as the saying goes 'You get what you pay for' is very true. I also have some (8) soon to be (38) Sony SNC-HM662 360 degree cameras these are my favorite panamorph cameras.

This setup has been very stable for us.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Dec 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Security wise I would go with Bosch. They have their own custom built kernel I believe and straight out of the box their analytics simply are the best. Also their Starlight technology and WDR is really good as well.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions