Subscriber Discussion

Best Hardware For A Training Platform

TW
Tate Winwood
Sep 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hello all,

I am located in Australia and am looking at creating a training platform for myself & my work crew. I just wanted to throw the question out there and see what DVR or NVR would be best. We will hopefully be adding a large range of cctv cameras manufactured by different companies, so an open platform NVR/DVR would be required.

Thank you for your time

JH
John Honovich
Sep 22, 2015
IPVM

Tate,

If you want to add a large range of cameras from different manufacturers, I'd pick either Exacq or Milestone (or both). You don't need to buy their boxes, you can just download their software.

Both have quite broad support, with Milestone's being broader but Exacq being easier to use. Both also update support fairly fast for new cameras / devices.

Mike Dotson
Sep 22, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

A word of caution...

"You don't need to buy their boxes, you can just download their software."

This has been getting less true recently meaning if you install on a 3rd party hardware platform...you get zero support if things dont work right.

Dont get me started on hybrid systems.

Thus I would lean towards Milestone/ONSSI and a few others who are more supportive.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 22, 2015
IPVM

"This has been getting less true recently meaning if you install on a 3rd party hardware platform...you get zero support if things dont work right."

Really? Can you elaborate? Are you saying Exacq only provides tech support if you buy their appliances?

Mike Dotson
Sep 22, 2015

Let's say you build/buy a 3rd party server or workstation....then install Exacq on it and something doesnt quite work right for whatever reason. They will not help you debug the hardware/OS part of the issue.

Some 3rd party items will not even work even though they may be exactly the same HW...but since they are not their appliance, they will not allow the software to function.

We have tried to be partners with them to no avail.

<my company designs and builds 3rd party servers/viewstations and storage solutions>

JH
John Honovich
Sep 22, 2015
IPVM

"They will not help you debug the hardware/OS part of the issue."

Sure, because you did not buy it from them. But they will troubleshoot camera connectivity issues or other general software issues.

Mike Dotson
Sep 22, 2015

I can't disagree.

My point is that to mitigate any potential issues where something in the hardware or OS may be causing a problem...stick with a VMS that still supports 3rd party builds better than others.

Tate wants to learn on the system so try to minimize things that will get in the way.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 22, 2015

If you can get them on the phone without waiting on hold for 45 minutes. Typical action: call...wait...read knowledgebase for 30 minutes...fix yourself...hang up.

TW
Tate Winwood
Sep 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the response guys.

Helped a heap. Just another quick one, but have you guys heard anything of the Digiever range?

Mike Dotson
Sep 23, 2015

I had one of their systems from 2014. You get what you pay for.

They will not get you the performance they claim.

Camera support was 'iffy' which was why we decided not to offer them for the very low end.

The UI was odd since you could not do everything from the unit itself...you needed to access it with a browser from a laptop to complete the setup.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions