Subscriber Discussion

Which Connectors Best For Electrified Transfer Hinges?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 13, 2017

What have you guys found to be the best type of connector/splicing method for the small 28awg wires coming off the hinge? We have had a few where the wires have popped loose using 'B' type connectors and would like advice on some alternatives. Keep in mind there is very limited space inside the door and frame.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jun 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is a good question, and one I'm curious to see feedback on too.

Using properly sized gel-filled Beanies (OP properly calls them 'B' Type connectors) are commonly used, but the issue of them popping loose seems bad around hinges in particular that are always moving and flexing.

Soldering the leads together and then shrink tubing the joint seems plenty durable, but takes significantly more time to do than just pinching on a beanie.

(1)
Michael Silva
Jun 13, 2017
Silva Consultants

Soldering the leads and using heat shrink to protect the splice as Brian describes is the only acceptable way to make connections to transfer hinges in my opinion. I have seen beanies or, worse yet, wire nuts used on these and the end result is unreliable and difficult to service.

TP
Todd Pulver
Jun 14, 2017

Molex connectors are the ONLY way to go for transfer devices.  In my opinion of course!  Crimp on pins, small form connectors that snap together make for a clean and secure solution and if you utilize Assa ElectroLynx connected products serviceability and change out is easy.  If you use other product lines you can prep the device in the shop, terminate the field cable when ready and snap together the transfer device at the appropriate stage.

(2)
(3)
Michael Silva
Jun 14, 2017
Silva Consultants

Todd, you are right! Directly applying Molex connectors to the field wiring is an even better way to go.

But in some cases, the hinge or lock will ship with a small "pigtail" that has a Molex connector on the end of it. If the installer connects his field wiring to the pigtail using either beanies or wire nuts, my same objection still applies.

TP
Todd Pulver
Jun 14, 2017

I am right in line with your objection to Mod B connectors and those other unmentionables (wire nuts).  For devices that already have Molex connectors that we cannot find a mate for (rare) we use a Molex pin extractor and re-pin with our field cable.  This can be tedious work in some cases, but service calls for intermittent RTE or lock operations is not worth the marginal time savings during install.

Remember twist on BNC vs Crimp-On.  Those twist on guys back in the day were pretty stubborn on the "time savings" and this is in the same line of thinking for some.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 14, 2017

Good call on the Molex Todd. What's your take on the Assa Abloy (McKinney) transfer hinges for POE locks? Now the techs are learning some data connections in the field all while crammed into a door!

TP
Todd Pulver
Jun 14, 2017

We standardize on McKinney ElectroLynx (QC) hinges and have very little service issues with them, but still have not crossed the PoE lock threshold.  This is an area where I am still pretty old school of preferring centralized control, power and FAI interface and not moving control out to the edge (unless of course dealing with WIFI locks, I am not THAT old school).  I can imagine that keeping any workable length for terminating RJ45s in tight door jam quarters and stuffing that in the limited space would be frustrating.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions