Subscriber Discussion

Best Cameras For Emergency Room Out Door Driveway Area

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 08, 2015

Hello All,

I have a hospital that is in the inner city and I have been running into issues lately where video is needed from a night time altercation between authorities and people out in the outdoor entrance area...It is currently being surveilled by a few different cameras...All Panasonic Analog units including a 964 PTZ and a few 484 Domes...The issue is at night with flashing lights from the Police cars and Ambulances video is unusable...

I am considering upgrading these units to IP HD single and Multiu Sensor units but am looking for info on the best technolgy/camera types to use to help alleviate the problem and give some usable video when these situations occur. I would be installing a new NVR for the units so I am open as to what to use. I have some Panasonic IP units thruout a garage area on a 64 channel Panasonic NVR just for back ground info...I have NOT tries anything in this area as of yet as the problem was just dropped into my lap in the last few days. Thanks for any insight.

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 08, 2015

I will have to check some video but we have multiple Avigilon (Bullets, Multi heads, PROs and PTZ) cameras covering different hospital ED areas. Our customer has never brought up any issues like this to us.

I would recommend going with the bullet over dome when installing in outside areas as if you get any rain marks or dirt on the dome covers the flashing lights can really cause issues from the reflection on the domes. Not to say this can't happen with bullets but I see it alot more with dome cameras.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2015
IPVM

"The issue is at night with flashing lights from the Police cars and Ambulances video is unusable..."

In general, integrated IR should help as the IR light being output will help offset flashing light. Here's a test video of the impact integrated IR has on flashing lights.

Outside of the flashing lights issue, how is the video quality in general?

How wide of an area do you want to cover?

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 08, 2015

Have you looked into Mobotix? I am currently looking at installing 116 mobotix cameras in a hospital myself. Why Mobotix, you might ask? Because each frame is clear, no blur. You need that when you want to identify people.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2015
IPVM

Undisclosed 2, I do not understand. Most cameras can deliver clear, no blur frames. This is primarily a shutter speed issue, not a vendor or codec one.

Also, Mobotix does not have any integrated IR cameras, which I think is going to be a negative in this application with flashing lights.

UI
Jul 08, 2015

I suppose what I mean is that each time I've reviewed mobotix video, anywhere I stop is very clear image, not blurred. With traditional video, you have to stop at just the right place if the object is moving.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2015
IPVM

Can you share a screenshot of the 'traditional video' quality? There are shutter speed possible problems (i.e., the shutter being too slow for the movement of the person) but that's a config issue, not an inherent camera flaw.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 08, 2015

I think he is referring to the artifacts from the codec. Mobotix is a progressive codec so every frame is clear, where is h264 you can get artifacts in moving scenes.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Mobotix is a progressive codec...

For me, progressive is not the first word that comes to mind regarding MxJPEG. Btw, they are apparently going to support less progressive codecs like h.264 in their future cameras.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 10, 2015
IPVM

"h264 you can get artifacts in moving scenes."

No, not unless the camera is misconfigured. Moving artifacts are not an inherent issue in h264.

UI
Jul 08, 2015

John wrote :...

How wide of an area do you want to cover

How wide of an area do you want to cover?? ...

The video qualtiy at present is certainly not HD but it has been sufficient till now...Coverage with what we have is not an issue either...

Up until recently I have never had any issues with this scenario and I have been doing the work on the System since the early 90s...I have been in the Biz for more then 25 years so the coverage thing I have...Id like to dump the PTZs in this area and use some Multi sensor IP cameras and I will use seperate IR Illuminators if need be...This is a Large Hospital and the cost is not really a factor... I can also use multiple Vandal Domes as bullets would be prey to the bad guys...they would to have Heaters on them as this is in the Chicago land area...

Thanks for the follow up...

JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2015
IPVM

Be careful with the multi-sensor camera selection, especially if you are considering Arecont :)

UI
Jul 08, 2015

Just as an aside to the original Post these Blue Strobe lights completly blind the images on all cameras...One of the main PTZs is lcoated very near the drive entrance and is just a few feet higher then the light bars themselves...You can see to the right or left of the strobes but anything in the main field of view is not viewable

I will get some shots of what I am talking about in the next day or so...I really dont think it is a configuration issue but am willing to listen to any and all suggestions...

Thanks

UI
Jul 08, 2015

Its what I typically come across. I'll see what I can find.. otherwise, maybe a test between the two should be considered?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2015
IPVM

We are testing the new Mobotix P25 when it ships.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 08, 2015

P25 is indoor only, and manual pan tillt for setup, but should show capabilities of the 6mp sensors and image processing they are using now in the outdoor models.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...IR should help as the IR light being output will help offset flashing light.

Nice solution, John. +1

(1)
UI
Jul 09, 2015

Jonh said..Be careful if Multi Sensor camera is Arecont...

I have seen where Arecont is much maligned here...I have used some in the past and have had good luck...But only a very few...Is there a consenus among those mroe knowlegable here on which Multi Sensor cameras are the best overall???

Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Jul 10, 2015
IPVM

The other multi-sensor cameras are too new and are either not out yet or just coming out (e.g., Axis, Avigilon, Panasonic, DW). Scallop has been out for a while but has their own issues.

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jul 09, 2015

Consider light b/w equipped camera. You get at least 1-1/2 f stop advantage, have a overview shot, but narrower views from additional cameras that shoot below the typical rooftop lights. Use the entrance canopy for weather protection.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 10, 2015
IPVM

Andrew, what do you mean by a "light b/w equipped camera"? That's not a typical expression.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 12, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I think the reason you have seen this issue just recently is due to the widespread adoption of LED lights in emergency vehicles. The older incandescent bulbs were probably not as bright or direct.

(1)
David Johnson
Jul 13, 2015

A light source as powerful as modern emergency strobes will pose a problem for any sensor technology especially if they form a large part of the image - perhaps a much wider but higher resolution view will minimise the overall impact. You may then be able to crop out the affected areas on playback using digital zoom. If the area is poorly illuminated then using IR with a WDR camera in B&W may further smooth out the usable image. Good luck.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 13, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

David, I like your idea of a wider scene with higher resolution. That sounds like a good start.

UI
Jul 13, 2015

I will keep all informed as I find the right combo of camera WDR Ir to use and let you all know...

Thanks for the input !! Truly appreciated!!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions