Subscriber Discussion

Best Browsers To View IP Cameras?

JE
John Elliott
Jun 30, 2017

Security certs always stop me on Cisco cameras.  I'm using IE 11 and tried chrome.  What are you guys using?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello John:

Those certificate policies shouldn't be a hard stop, meaning that you likely have the option to view them if you acknowledge the certificate issue.  Have you tried that?

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 30, 2017

Chome is my go to but it depends on the camera.  If I have to use IE to work on a camera I lose interest fast. 

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 30, 2017

If the camera is using HTTPS, and a self-signed certificate, this is typical.  You would have to install a CA issued certificate, or go to elaborate steps to get the "security warning" to go away.  This is just normal, because the name on the certificate doesn't match the URL you are typing in.

It isn't an actual issue in this case.  If you are going to https://www.yahoo.com and the certificate comes up with an issue indicating it isn't actually Yahoo, then you have an issue.

Panasonic put out a guide on how to stop the security warning message.  It was very in depth and way to much trouble for most people who only use the browser during initial system config and then never touch it again....

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 30, 2017

Am a Chrome guy with IE tab when IE is needed.

I am curious if there are any Microsoft Edge users out there who have used it for doing camera configurations? We haven't really started using Windows 10 yet except for the server OS's.

I am skeptical but the reviews for Edge are quite favorable.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 30, 2017

I use it with Hanwha cameras that support Plugin-Free mode.  Works just fine to login to cameras, configure, etc....

I personally still prefer IE, as the plugin is supported for full resolution, full frame rate, and compatibility with older models that require the plugin...

(Hanwha employee)

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

IE always gives us issues with Dahua cameras. I can stage 10 cameras, get to the 11th and i keep getting a message to allow the plug in. Today i was clicking on one like 20 times and couldnt get it to load.

Not sure if this is new but in chrome when i try to download the plug in, it sends me to the chrome store and there is some type of napi extension. I believe I can get to all menus from within chrome, just cant see the image. Thats fine for me for staging.

I also staged several Uniview cameras and to be honest i may have my results confused a bit. But rhe Univiews also worked in chrome for the menus.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions