Subscriber Discussion

Best Bandwidth For Remote Viewing

EDWIN KHETHIWE
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Please advice me here, My ISP provide the following internet packages, which can be a reasonable package i can recommend my clients to use for remote viewing

a. 0.5Mbps - 1Mbps

b. 2Mbps - 4Mbps

c. 10Mbps - 20Mbps

Secondly, incase i use package b where i have put the DVR then use package a or 3G to remote view that DVR will that affect the quality of my streaming or vice versa...

For most of the clients that i have assisted i have problem with now streaming the video remotely with the phone because the video keep on freezing (when there is motion) when im using mobile data and most of the time when im using wifi an error keeps on coming out saying connection network time out.. error code:-10005 (system info)

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 19, 2016

How many cameras are your clients attempting to stream from the DVR?

EDWIN KHETHIWE
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

4 cameras and the other one is 8 cameras

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I'm unsure if those packages are asynchronous or synchronous rates? If asynchronous, are those inbound or outbound rates?

We also need to know the expected bitrate of your cameras, or an average to base our opinion on. Also, do you plan on streaming the main stream or a substream?

(1)
HL
Horace Lasell
Sep 21, 2016

https://ipvm.com/reports/bandwidth-guide-for-video-networks

Excerpting: Practical Examples of Camera Bandwidth

The following list is an excerpt from IPVM tests of actual bandwidth recording for a variety of cameras:

• Cif 5FPS Office: 50 KB/s
  • 720P 10FPS Conference Room: 0.5 Mb/s
  • 720P 30FPS Intersection: 4 Mb/s
  • 1080P 10FPS Conference Room: 2 Mb/s
  • 1080P 30FPS IR On Intersection: 8 Mb/s
  • 5MP 15FPs Panoramic Office: 4.5 Mb/s
  • 4K 30FPS Intersection: 7 Mb/s

Not sure if this is the sort of info you're looking for, or specifically to match it to network bandwidth "specifications."

Kind regards.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 21, 2016

Great comments by both Jon and Horace.

You need to understand what your bandwidth requirements are to stream either the 4 or 8 cameras. Then apply that knowledge to the limitations of the ISP 'packages' you listed.

Note that some ISPs will cap the upload speeds (sending your camera streams across the internet to the remote viewing devices) while touting their download speeds - which have no bearing at all on the remote viewing experience.

Based on your original comments, it sounds like you don't have enough UPLOAD bandwidth to handle this amount of data being streamed (cameras freeze when trying to view them remotely).

Horace's listing of IPVM testing is important - in particular note these:

• 1080P 10FPS Conference Room: 2 Mb/s
  • 1080P 30FPS IR On Intersection: 8 Mb/s

The complexity of the scenes (and the frame rate being used) that you are streaming can wildly change the bandwidth required to UPLOAD this data to the internet (so remote viewers can receive and view them).

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions