Subscriber Discussion

Bay Area Rapid Transit Spokesperson Says, We'll See If Cameras Were Working After Robbery

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 25, 2017

A few days ago, in the San Francisco Bay Area, a group of 40-60 young people swarmed a BART train and platform, robbed and assaulted several people.  Watching the news about the event, they didn't show any camera footage, but the BART spokesperson said something to the effect, "We're going to see if cameras were working on board those train cars."  There has been no footage released, that I know of, and BART explains the  reason for not doing so is that the suspects are minors.  I'm not sure how they can tell, with certainty, someone's age between 17 and 18 year of age.  Blurring out faces seems to be a standard practice when the age of the people are obviously under 18, but that is not my point.

My point is, this seems like a bad message to send to both the public, and the people doing bad things, that their surveillance system on board trains is questionable.  Better public relations dictate that confidence in surveillance systems should be expressed rather than putting in a caveat.

(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Apr 25, 2017

BART is notorious for running out of money. It doesn't surprise me in the least they would say that.

Security is never the first priority when it comes to them in the first place.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Apr 25, 2017

They confessed non-working cameras a while ago.   They're well on track to get sued I would think.   

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions