Subscriber Discussion

Bandwidth Monitoring Display Application On A Mac?

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 21, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I cannot find a neat Mac OS X equivalent to the Task Manager's "Network Utilization" graph in Windows as shown in the video at “PART 4 - Bandwidth Basics”. I really like the way it shows bandwidth as a percentage of the speed of the network interface. On Mac, the Activity Monitor simply shows how much data is being up/downloaded but doesn't show it as a percentage of the speed of the network interface. I've searched for third party tools but still haven't found one. Are you aware of any such tool for Mac OS X? Thanks for your help.

AK
Alex K
Mar 21, 2014

May be this one

Net Monitor

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 21, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Thank you Alex. I downloaded it and checked out the options. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do what I would like even though the screenshot looked promising.

AK
Alex K
Mar 21, 2014

Just knowing the percentage of network is not going to give you full picture of what is going on.

At the very basic level you would want to know traffic in and traffic out.

Good luck

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hi Alex, you're right. However I like the simplicity of a graph which shows if I'm about to max out my network connection. Activity Monitor does show how much traffic is going in and out but doesn't show it as a percentage of the speed of the network port, unlike the Windows "Network Utilization" graph.

ML
Mark Lewis
Mar 21, 2014

Luke, have you tried the built in ActivityMonitor app ? Run it up then hit the Network tab ?

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hi Mark, yes, the Activity Monitor is good for seeing how much data is going up and downstream. It just doesn't show at a glance if the network port is about to run out of bandwidth and that's what I would like.

ML
Mark Lewis
Mar 21, 2014

Also try

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hi Mark, thank you for finding this utility. It has a very nice interface but unfortunately doesn't show at a glance if the network port is about to run out of bandwidth.

I think I might just ask Apple to update their Activity Monitor to show this view of bandwidth. With a bit of luck they'll do it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions