Ballot Stuffing The Most Idiotic Industry Person Results

JH
John Honovich
Aug 26, 2015
IPVM

The only thing sadder than pointless awards are people who try to rig them....

Check it out:

You will notice that the leaders, by a factor of 10 - 30x over everyone else are Richard Brent, John Chigos, Victoria Ferro and Scott Schafer.

Even sadder, I found out about this from Arecont who is actually promoting this:

In fairness, Schafer's misunderstanding of bytes and pixels plus untimely, shameless promotion of pixels per dollars did influence us to write: Arecont Accurately Predicts Its Own Fall.

Why in the world would anyone want to stuff this ballot? Securityhive? Really?

To test it out, in 2 minutes, I was able to cast 20 votes for Bud Broomhead. Any man who can silently bankrupt his company, void warranties and then make money on that in his next company warrants recognition in this vote.

Are people so desperate to win an award?

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2015
IPVM

Ok, somebody stuff for ONVIF, please...

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I'm holding off until BjorkDahlPer has been replaced with Austin Powers...

Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think my stuffed votes can make a difference.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 27, 2015
I like Bud just for the name ;)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2015
IPVM

Vote early and often, in this case literally....

(3)
Ross Vander Klok
Aug 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Next year I am going to enter my dog Zeke. For sure. I will also make sure he wins by paying someone to just vote for him 500 times.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2015
IPVM

Fiverr.com was built for that.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 27, 2015
(1)
(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Aug 27, 2015

I'll vote for deez nuts

Brian Rhodes
Aug 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This post makes me proud of you.

Ross Vander Klok
Aug 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Not enough of you are voting for John. I would like him to win and then we can get him a plaque with “John Honovich: The Most Idiotic Security Industry Person of the year 2015. As chosen by popular vote on SecurityHive.com”

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Aug 27, 2015

I'm contacted every year because I've "been selected" as the Woman Entrepenuer of the Year or some equally impressive title. Early in my career (25+yrs ago) I fell for it and contacted them at which time I found out that me and several thousand others were "selected" and featured in the magazine that my $45.00 "acceptance fee" paid for. The whole thing is a magazine subscription selling scam but they massage your ego and make you feel important till you send the money and receive your first copy of the magazine & realize you were duped. Yes - we're that desparate to win an award or be recognized especially in our youth. How sad and pathetic is that? I now have kids & grandkids at those ages and try telling them not to buy into it but a few have enough narcisism in them that they can't resist and will fall for it every time.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Gentlemen, I think we are witnessing the emergence of a middle finger...

(12)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2015
IPVM

2, you have way too much time on your hands....

(5)
Ross Vander Klok
Aug 28, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Awwwww man! Looks like they caught on to it, but not before John Chigos managed to throw in an extra 150 for himself.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2015
IPVM

Who's stuffing for me??? It's pointless. This won't teach them any lesson nor am I going to accept / participate.

I almost feel bad for Securityhive, which is a small relatively unknown site. The real embarrassment in all this are manufacturers that are stuffing to win.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Aug 28, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Well, it is certainly not our interns stuffing the ballot box for you!!! In my defense they need something to do that teaches them about business and I couldn't think of a better learning opportunity to showcase how most of it is smoke and mirrors.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 03, 2015
IPVM

Update: CNL's stuffing is strong! CNL, always looking for any form of validation, now has 500+ votes.

Poor Fredrik Nilsson still stuck at 9 votes. Schmode at -745....

JH
John Honovich
Sep 06, 2015
IPVM

Update: Platesmart CEO at 863 and Arecont's Schafer just broke 700. Keep stuffing!

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Schafer appears to be unstoppable, his influence is growing by the hour. J.H.'s middle finger has been blunted, and is now just a stubby reminder of those 4 minutes in August when he was the one that 'had the right stuff'....

I demand A recount.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 07, 2015
IPVM

He is the inventor of 'Pixel Per Dollar'...

ST
Steven Turney
Sep 08, 2015

Perhaps I just have been living in my own little world....... but I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have never heard of Richard Brent, John Chigos or Victoria Ferro.... I know Scott Schafer only because he use to work for us.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2015
IPVM

Lol, sigh, yes...

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Update: Voting closed on September 15. Final leader board taken down. In its place only the message "Results to be published shortly."

Last known snapshots of the undersized voting apparatus, right before it seized up, showed that Scott Schafer had amassed literally thousands of sincere affirmations of supreme industry influence, from literally thirty or more direct reports, to whom Scott is understandably the most influential person in the industry.

Now all we can do is wait for a puff of white smoke to emerge from the hive, indicating that, indeed the votes have been counted and recounted, and finally recounted, and that will of the voters is at last done. Power to the Pixel!

(2)
(1)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Sep 21, 2015

John - Surely participation in this sort of thing ...and then a winner's speech on the podium denouncing the whole thing would be quite a thing to behold?

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified
JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2015
IPVM

Axis is proud!

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Ironically Schafer, who by most counts had more than 2x the votes when the tally was pulled, ultimately could not overcome an overwhelming alphabetic displacement...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2015
IPVM

But he knows he is the most influential and that is what counts...

U
Undisclosed #8
Oct 03, 2015

First, they spelled Tom Galvin's name wrong.

Second, it appears they picked the "Top 12" from a list of 26 names? Not exactly an elite club.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2015
IPVM

"it appears they picked the "Top 12" from a list of 26 names? Not exactly an elite club."

Now, I feel even worse :(

I think those were are the names submitted from last year and they did not offer / allow people to add new names. It's just weird all around.

U
Undisclosed #8
Oct 03, 2015

I thought it was funny how most of the people on the list had over-inflated bios, and your name just had something like "John is an expert on IP cameras and VMS" or something like that.

I'm sure we can all look forward to great things to come from these award winners.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I think we may all owe Arecont an apology for the stuffing allegations contained in this discussion, since Security Hive has now determined the root cause of the ballot overage:

Stuck voting button, w/o reset.

Sorry, Arecont.

(4)
Brian Karas
Aug 12, 2016
IPVM

Time to vote again, half of the "influencers" from last year are not up for re-election.

Ari Erenthal
Aug 12, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

John isn't on there. Neither is Marty Major. Neither am I.

I guess that leaves Fedrik Nillson?

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Though apparently this is not a procedural issue, as the popular incumbent Mr. Schafer is poised for another run this year, despite allegations of voting irregularities in the last.

Though it remains to be seen whether he can top his record high metric of 19 VPP, (votes per person), even with the rumored QoS tweaking done in Glendale to insure faster packet delivery this year.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 12, 2016

FLASH UPDATE:

Unknown camera manufacturer has been hacked, cameras now vote for a specific person in a contest instead of collecting Bitcoins.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Fredrick Nielsen of Axis is clearly the favorite now ;)

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #9
Aug 12, 2016

Who do you make sure you check out as a conference speaker, or follow closely on twitter, or read all their blogs?

How many even personally blog?

Below is a list of nominations submitted during July.

Wonder what the nomination process consisted of? What a waste...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions