Subscriber Discussion

Bad Image Sensor?

Tyler Graham
Nov 04, 2015

What is wrong with my camera? I have had several cameras do this, but this is the newest camera. Most have been Axis 216FD cameras, but this is my first M3114. I understand it to be a bad image sensor, but not much more. Can someone explain to me why it is doing this?

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Looks like you are missing all your reds...

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Does this camera not have a real day/night filter?

Maybe the virtual cut filter is not working?

This is after a reset? How many others did this? Permanently?

Tyler Graham
Nov 04, 2015

No, it does not have a mechanical IR cut filter and I was not aware of a virtual cut filter, is that a thing? I have had IR cut filters get stuck in daytime mode, but the picture is all a pink tint.

I cannot get it to stop doing this with software tweaking (camera settings, firmware upgrade, reboot, and factory default). If I turn the contrast down to around 17, the pink is isolated to the bright spots in the sky between the clouds.

This is the 1st 3114 I have seen this on. I have had 3 216FDs and 1 M3201 do this.

Ross Vander Klok
Nov 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What software are you using and how is your wiring? No way that many cameras have been bad.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is there really such a thing as a virtual cut filter? That is a profound philosophical question. ;)

Cameras that have a b+w mode, but no cut filter, do their best after the fact by image processing. Here it looks like the red channel has been turned into b+w but the others have not. Maybe it's stuck in Arecont Emulation Mode. ;)

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 04, 2015

Bad Sensor...get Axis to replace it...they have a history of them with all the models you mentioned.

Ross Vander Klok
Nov 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

They did? Product recall announcement? Service bulletin link? Anything to back that up with basically. Not that I don’t believe you, just need some proof!

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 04, 2015

Hi Ross,

They rarely would promote/acknowledge something like sensor failures and it wasn't 100% but 216's and some other's would see this exact type of failure...I say this because I am a past employee and still have a couple of the bad senors in my possession.

(2)
Ross Vander Klok
Nov 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Got it, thanks for the info!

Mike Dotson
Nov 04, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Tyler,

Not long ago I had a post on IPVM with Exacq and Axis cams making for bad video for H264 streams ONLY. The MJPEG streams we all OK.

The eventual fix for that was to perform a factory reset on the cam.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions