Axis Releases A Video Game

JH
John Honovich
Aug 15, 2015
IPVM

I am not kidding.

Here are highlights of the game:

You can play the Axis video game here.

It appears impossible to break an Axis camera, even with a 'major league bat', a 'heavyweight mallet', a 'supersize anvil', or a 'wrecking ball', at least in this video game.

This is part of Axis' 'quality' marketing campaign trying to counter the ongoing collapse of camera pricing.

Vote / Poll

(1)
(4)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Point at which swinging bat is broken by invisible force field protecting dome:

Perhaps inspired by the discussion, Can You Take Out A Vandal Dome With One Swing?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Tough game, but don't despair, if you finish with a score in the top 50, the influential Dr. comes out to give you your award personally....

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 16, 2015

At least they're trying something. I hope their engineering/manufacturing group is working to address the shrinking prices in more effective ways.

MW
Michael Wright
Aug 17, 2015

Weak marketing at best

(3)
Claudio Almeida
Aug 17, 2015

Smashatons? What kind of unit to measure impact is that? I can't believe they created their own unit!

Now I want to know how many smashatons corresponds to 1 Kgf of force. Or Newtons...

I googled this word and, guess what?

It's the name of a Pokemon card!!!

They should give some rebates on the cameras instead using the money to pay who idealized/made this game

(2)
Ethan Ace
Aug 17, 2015

This isn't actually Axis' first foray into video games. Everyone surely remembers the PTZ Master iOS/Android app???

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 17, 2015

I am sure everyone is thinking this but....

Why not spend less money on marketing and take that savings and reduce the cost of the camera, to make it more competitive?

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 17, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Let's say it cost them $72,000 to develop this game (team of four getting paid $6,000 each a month for 3 months).

$72,000 spent on price reduction is not going to go very far at all.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 17, 2015

That's true if they rolled the $72k into cutting price of the cameras directly. $72k may have more effect if they spent that $72k on personnel in a department that directly affects cost (purchasing, engineering, logistics, etc).

Hal Bennick
Aug 18, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

$72k is one low-average person, once you work in all associated headcount costs.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Why not spend less money on marketing and take that savings and reduce the cost...

If they sell more because of marketing, the trivial expense is offset by the far greater gains due to greater economies of scale, and therefore ultimately results in a price reduction to the customer.

Or so my Wharton grad ex-partner was quite fond of repeating. Come to think of it he was quite full-of-s***.

Hal Bennick
Aug 18, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Why not stop giving away pens at trade shows? Use non-glossy finish on boxes? Turn the A/C up to 82 at HQ? Marketing is just cost of doing business.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 18, 2015

This just seems like it sets a bad precedent. Does anyone REALLY believe an Axis camera would survive a wrecking ball? Does this video set an expectation that a damaged camera should be covered under warranty?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 18, 2015
IPVM

"Does anyone REALLY believe an Axis camera would survive a wrecking ball?"

Well, there is no such thing as an Axis fanboi... so probably not.

"Does this video set an expectation that a damaged camera should be covered under warranty?"

It sets an expectation than an Axis camera can dent a wrecking ball... I couldn't find any disclaimer / legalese. Presumably, they would say it's just a video game, but it is bizarre that they would try to even create the impression that their camera could survive a wrecking ball.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 18, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...but it is bizarre that they would try to even create the impression that their camera could survive a wrecking ball.

Prof. Smash is very clear on this point, such action will void the camera's warranty.

On the bright side, most wrecking balls don't carry any explicit warning about being dented by Axis domes, so you may be covered there...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 18, 2015
IPVM

You are good with the fine fine print!

Meghan Uhl
Aug 18, 2015

On the other hand, its novel and has anyone seen the mind exersizes on Lumosity? People spend hours on those games! It just might work to keep the Axis name/brand in the minds of buyers and per some other IPVM article blogs recently (sorry, I don't have time to go back and find the links) - some buyers make decisions based on name recognition and nothing else. I believe this to be true human nature because how else can you explain Trump?

(3)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 18, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Agreed. I don't know why marketing initiatives don't get more respect around here.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 18, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Access Control always seems under-represented in slick marketing. Except in the games department.

Here is Amag's Matching Game:

Your high score is there for all to see, therefore: "It's not bragging if it's true."

(1)
IG
Israel Gogol
Aug 22, 2015

I recently found this game from Oncam. I think it is very well made.
http://www.heistoncam.com/

U
Undisclosed #5
Aug 22, 2015

How can this be labeled as a 'game' when there is apparently no way to beat it?

I've gotten up to 1947 Smashatons with the bat and it still won't break the camera....

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play...

(2)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 22, 2015
IPVM

"I've gotten up to 1947 Smashatons with the bat and it still won't break the camera...."

YOU'RE THE BEST! You win in my book!!!

Seriously, how in the world did you get that high?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Seriously, how in the world did you get that high?

Axis Gold Partner.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 22, 2015
IPVM

He's Certified in Axis Video Games...

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

7714 Smashtons (Bat) and still not a crack in the dome. Pro-tip, hit it from the top by using counter clockwise swing, instant doubling of score.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 25, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What really happens to an Axis Dome when sledgehammered by an irate gamer.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 25, 2015
IPVM

That's quite the commitment!

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Founder Martin Gren puts his dome on the line...

Compared to the video version this is a truly difficult task, since you must:

A. Hit the camera with what seems like a dome shatterimg amount of force, > 1000 Smashtons

B. Not actually damage the dome

C. Appear care free and confident

Solution: Grip bat like an umberella.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 20, 2017
IPVM

Update: looks like Axis has removed the video game or at least removed it from its previous URL:

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions