Axis Recommends Thermal Cameras To Detect Ebola

JH
John Honovich
Aug 21, 2014
IPVM

Here's the claim (from Roy Alves, Regional Business Development Manager for Axis Communications):

"Since thermal cameras look at people’s heat signatures, they are able to detect whether someone has a fever. This can be used to alert the authorities to someone who may have been infected with the Ebola virus at crucial junctures like airports, bus stations, and border crossings."

What do you think?

Moreover, what security / safety measures can really be taken to dealing with people having Ebola?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 21, 2014

The idea of using it to screen for Ebola is absurd.

How is the author associated with Axis? His bio says:

Sam Wakoba reports on technology startups and innovations globally. He is based in Nairobi, Kenya. To have him speak at your event, drop him a mail at sam@techmoran.com

Marty Major
Aug 21, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

The author isn't the one who made the claim referenced above - it was a quote from the Axis regional biz dev guy.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 21, 2014

I just read it again and see the quote now.

I am constantly amazed at some of the utter bullshit that come out of the mouths of people in our industry

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 21, 2014

"...thermal imaging can also be used as a safer method for screening patients for breast cancer instead of less comfortable methods that expose patients to radiation such as mammography."

say what?

Ross Vander Klok
Aug 21, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Ebola causes a fever of around 101 or 102 degrees Fahrenheit so seems like that would pick up at a color other than the normal 98 to 99 temp right? Can't the cameras be tweaked to note minor changes or not really? I think if you had each person stand in a designated spot for 10 or 15 seconds you could do this, but scanning a crowd as it moves or just a normal walk through at a security checkpoint probably not.

Basically playing devil’s advocate here, but I’ll bet it could be done it is just not at all practical or even in the realm of feasibility.

JB
Jeremiah Boughton
Aug 21, 2014

Reminds me of the Ecstacy/MDMA discussion we had a few months ago on whether or not a thermal camera can detect somone "Rolling".

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2014

Last time I went into China they had thermal cameras at customs scanning people as they came through for "flu symptoms".

GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 22, 2014

Here is the link to the white paper about the use of thermal cameras for the detection of SARS in travelers by FLIR, the company I work for.

It's a long read and those familiar with thermal would recognize the subtle difference between a security camera and a radiometric measuring tool. Notice the ATC functionality not found in security cameras as well as a calibrated temperature reading.

This reminds me of the aftermath of Boston and how many Facial Recognition and Analytics companies came out and said their product either did or would have prevented or solved the crime.

Even with the calibrated radiometric cameras we are releasing for security now, I wouldn't make this statement, but that's me. Just sayin....

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 22, 2014
IPVM

"In addition, FLIR Systems cameras are equipped with a sound alarm. If the temperature exceeds a predefined value, a buzzer alarm will go off. A subject activating the alarm, can easily be taken aside for further examination on site or in a medical centre."

Greg, do all FLIR cameras have this or only certain models? I am curious about the temperature 'analytics'?

GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 22, 2014
Absolutely not John. In fact I had to search for this white paper because it's a different division. Once the FLIR ONE is shipping I guess people will find it useful for checking seat mates on airplanes LOL
Brian Rhodes
Aug 22, 2014
IPVMU Certified

...or waving over my chicken and pork chops first to make sure I won't catch worms or salmonella.

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Aug 22, 2014

We all know the true purpose of the FLIR ONE is to check which toilet seat isn't still warm from the previous guest.

(1)
RW
Rukmini Wilson
Aug 22, 2014

I heard that function wasn't available 'til FLIR #TWO

(1)
GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 22, 2014
You guys are so funny, keep it going and I'll trademark some of these great ideas! @John, FLIR manufactures hand held temperature measurement devices that range from a little over a thousand dollars to scientific devices that cost over one hundred thousand dollars. We are migrating a limited field of views into the security range for dual purpose. I'm sure Rukmini and Rogier will have many creative ideas for those.
(1)
Christopher Freeman
Aug 22, 2014

Another Sales Tactic to sell more stuff that does not meet the requirement but makes someone fell good.

absurd!

Temperature monitoring (Body Heat Signatures ) can be accomplished with real industrial equipment made in the medical industry for that application by professionals who know what to look for , not by off the street , body frisking , guards with no education/ training in the medical industry

By the time you have identified the Ebola, chances are you have been exposed or close encounter to exposure.

Systematic approach to identification

What about the sick people who have higher temps from other illnesses? So do we classify every higher temperature case as ebola?

Ross Vander Klok
Aug 22, 2014
IPVMU Certified

No, but you would classify anyone with a higher than normal temp as needing additional screening. Luckily Ebola is only transferred via actual contact with body fluids so it is not as easy to get as a cold or flu. Again I am not saying it is feasible or even possible with AXIS cameras, but the idea is certainly sound.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 30, 2014
IPVM

Update: first case of Ebola in US via passenger plane, tracking down those who might have been infected.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions