Subscriber Discussion

Axis Q1765-LE As A License Plate Camera

TU
Tony Uhl
Jan 12, 2018

Good Morning,

We recently installed an all Axis system with (2) Q1765-LE cameras to be used to capture license plates of incoming and outgoing lanes. The lanes are single lanes and the vehicles aren't going any faster than 10 mph. The plates are being captured just fine during the day as expected, but at night we are not capturing them. Unfortunately we do not have remote access to this site (Client restrictions) and i can't really play with the settings and easily check them the next day. I see that a lot of guys have used these for tag capture successfully and I am looking for what setting changes that need to be made to accomplish this.The server is an Axis S1032 Mark II. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

(1)
Scott Bradford
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

LP is tough. You're probably having issues with illumination. Typically for LP, you want to have a stand alone IR illuminator that is set off angle from the plate so the reflection doesn't bounce back into the camera

JH
John Honovich
Jan 12, 2018
IPVM

Tony, the good news, as you allude, is lots of integrators use the Axis Q1765-LE successfully, as shown in Top Used License Plate Capture Cameras.

Can you describe what issues you are having at night? Is the image too dark? Are the plates too blurred? Something else?

The #1 setting to check, generally, for license plate capture is shutter speed, since even a car moving at 10mh will need faster shutter speed than typical (i.e., typical 1/30s, you might need 1/60s or 1/120s, etc. based on experimentation on site).

(3)
SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jan 12, 2018

Agree that it's likely shutter speed...typically Axis cameras by default have the absolute max shutter set to something really long like 2 seconds, so you can change it there since it will never need to be that long.

And there is a slider that goes between less motion blur or less noise, you probably want that all the way over to less motion blur. It's much tougher without being able to tweak settings at night though since it's kind of a guess and check type deal.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jan 12, 2018

I'm not sure for axis on their auto focus speeds if you have that set, but if you have manual focus set it could be slightly out of focus for at night. For avigilon using their non lpr cameras, I have one at 230ft and I use the light sensor on my external illuminator to trigger a ptz focus movement, cars go upto 40mph on a bend in my shot and it gets it perfectly.

TU
Tony Uhl
Jan 12, 2018

Thanks Guys. We also spoke to Axis Tech support and they are saying pretty much the same thing that you guys are. Exposure settings, manual focus, and field of view as the main settings. Here is their response and their recommended settings for LPR. We adjusted today on-site and we will check the video on Monday. I'll let everyone know the results. 

Q1765-LE LPC Case Study
Filip Johansson
Axis Communications
June 3, 2015

1 Introduction

The purpose of this document is to briefly outline some key settings and considerations to be made when setting up Q1765-LE for License Plate Capture.
There are not many settings that need to be considered, however due to the
complexity of the camera settings page there is a lot of confusion on how to do
this properly. Even though Axis cameras are thoroughly tested to work well in
most situations out of the box, LPC is a very specialized application and there
are some physical limitations that need to be addressed through camera settings
to make it work properly.
The scope of this document is not how to setup a complete solution with
an Automated LPR system, camera considerations etc. That setup is assumed
to have been done properly. The key components to successfully deploying an
LPC solution are eld of view (FOV), illumination, focus, exposure time, gain
and frame rate. Each will be treated in its own section.

2 Field Of View

It is critical to get the correct number of pixels on the license plate.Recommendations on the pixel density vary between vendors and solution providers. In
general, follow the recommendations from the solution provider but increase the
density for night time LPC situations when NIR illumination is needed. As an
example Milestone recommends 125 pixels per foot (A license plate is one foot
wide) but the author would recommend at least 150 pixels per foot when NIR
is involved. The NIR easily washes out over the characters when the resolution
is lower.The vertical angle is also important. Try getting the camera mounted at
least 14 above the point where the license plates are to be read. This is to
avoid the glare from the car headlights. Also, try to mount the camera as
straight on as possible.

3 Illumination

Daytime LPC usually requires no extra lighting. With current technologies NIR
or white light LED:s are usually required to get enough light from the license
plates in night time applications. The Q1765-LE provides a very good solution
for moderate distances. Do not use WDR technologies unless general overview
is equally as or more important than the LPC application. Figure 1 shows an
example where a Q1765-LE was used to capture license plates from a freeway
overpass with cars passing at speeds of around 55 mph.
Figure 1: LPC using a Q1765-LE. Shot taken from a height of around 15 feet and
distance estimated to 60 feet. Cars passing at approximately 55 mph. Pixel density
of 150 pixels per foot.

4 Focus

Fixed focus is always recommended for LPC. The best way to focus the camera
is to have somebody else parking/stopping a car where the plates are to be
detected and manually setting the focus on the plate, alternatively auto focus
can be used temporarily and turned o when the correct focus is achieved. A
special case occurs with non-NIR compensated lenses like the Q1765-LE. Two
presets for day and night respectively should be setup. Using the event system
the camera can be configured to toggle between the presets as appropriate.
Make sure the focus is good before changing other settings.

5 Exposure Time

The most critical factor for a successful night time LPC application. If the exposure time is too long, the plate will be obscured by motion blur. The settings
usually included in the camera settings page are not enough in most cases. There
is a setting in plain config called root.ImageSource.I0.Sensor.MaxExposureTime
that needs to be configured. This limits the maximum exposure time that the
camera can use, thereby providing a hard limit for the motion blur. The units
are μs. So to for example configure a maximum exposure time of 1/250 s (which
is a good starting point) one would use the following calculation:
MaxExposureTime = 1000000/250 = 4000
To find this value in day time the author recommends using fixed exposure times,
this is because in day time the exposure algorithm might choose a shorter value
which can fool the user in to thinking a correct value has been found. Once
a good configuration has been found it is advisable to decrease the value by
a factor of 2 to give some margin for speeders. Go to "System Options" -
"Advanced" - Plain Config" - "ImageSource" to find these settings.

6 Gain

This does normally not need to be tweaked for daytime LPC but for night time
LPC with NIR or white light illumination it is often needed to avoid saturation
on the plates. Once again use plain cong and tweak the Sensor.MaxGain
parameter until a good exposure is achieved. It is easiest to tweak this after
focus and exposure time has been configured using a still standing car. The
units are 0-100 in an internal scale, 0 representing no gain and 100 representing
the maximum gain in the camera system.

7 Frame Rate

Use a sufficient frame rate so that there is no chance that cars passing by will
not appear in at least 2-3 video frames. Please note that the exposure time
settings discussed in section 5 will take care of motion blur, there is no need to
use extremely high frame rates for LPC.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We use a different camera for LP but I can not remember having a blurry tag if the focus was good.Our two main adjustments are shutter speed and the IR level.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 13, 2018
IPVM

I can not remember having a blurry tag if the focus was good.Our two main adjustments are shutter speed and the IR level.

Jay, to clarify for others, I agree that since you do adjust the shutter speed, a blurry tag would only come from poor focus. However, the Axis Q1765-LE has built-in auto focus so it's far less likely the problem is one of focus than one of shutter speed.

Matt Houchen
Apr 02, 2018
Security 101

So has anybody else nailed down the perfect night time settings for this camera yet? I know all situations are going to be different but I'm at least looking for a baseline. Daytime captures are spectacular with any configuration so I have been trying to get the best night time captures and leave it that way day and night. I'm using PlateSmart Technologies for the LPR software and image captures.

Thanks,

Matt

SL
Steve Lewis
Apr 02, 2018

Matt you may find this document useful: Axis best prectices - camera Placement 

Matt Houchen
Apr 03, 2018
Security 101

This was great, especially the action rules to torn on and off the cut filter and IR. Hopefully I have some good baseline settings in there now that I can start working with. I will know more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Scott Bradford
Apr 03, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Matt, I'd love to hear your feedback on Plate Smart.  I did some chatting with them about projects but never did a deployment. 

Matt Houchen
Apr 03, 2018
Security 101

Besides getting my camera settings just right, it has been working extremely well. I really need to start focusing more on all the things I can do with it now. We currently have hotlists and whitelists but that really is just the tip of the iceberg. We are also looking to integrate it into our Verint VMS.

JH
Jean-Michel HOFFMANN
Sep 07, 2020

Hello, I use also these cameras. Perhaps could you share with me your settings for shutter/gain and plain config. Do you also use an ir illuminator for that. I am looking for the best config. Thanks

Derek Ward
Sep 08, 2020
Hanwha

Hello Jean-Michel,

For what it's worth, we used Axis's License Plate Verifier recommended settings for our Axis Q1700-LE LPV test. Here is what they recommended for their ALPV application, which I'd imagine would work well for your camera config:

IPVM Image

Now, I'd do some testing with your setup first, of course, but this could be a good jumping-off point. I'd recommend IR Illumination as well, as it will certainly help make the plates "pop" due to their IR reflectiveness.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions