Axis Pays $3,000 Bonus For Passing The PSP Or CPP

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

What do you think?

The PSP and CPP are ASIS certifications, they cover almost nothing in video surveillance but they are frequently held by security ends users.

This is the first manufacturer I know to offer such a bonus. Note: this is for their own employees only.

Good idea? Would you do it for $3,000?

Related: ASIS PSP To Do Or Not To Do?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 02, 2016

Will they pay another manufacturer? Cash or product? LOL

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

I am sure they'll hire you ;)

Michael Silva
Jun 02, 2016
Silva Consultants

John,

Are they paying this to their own employees, or to their integrators/resellers?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

Michael, sorry, you are right, I was unclear. It is only for their own employees to our knowledge. I've updated the post accordingly.

Ethan Ace
Jun 02, 2016

I've heard that Assa Abloy does this. I'm not sure of the bonus, but I've also been told that it's a job requirement for sales staff.

Sean Nelson
Jun 02, 2016
Nelly's Security

genius

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

sarcasm?

Sean Nelson
Jun 02, 2016
Nelly's Security

actually no, Im sure its a hard test and why not congratulate your employees with a bonus for passing. Id say the only bad thing about it is that perhaps for some positions, it should be a requirement, your bonus would be to keep your job. But being that this is not really a video surveillance test, this shouldnt really be a requirement for Axis people, but being educated in anything security, even if its not video surveillance, will only make you a better employee. Matter of fact, thinking about doing something similar with my employees with the IPVM tests, give them some motivation to pass. The IPVM tests are actually not easy.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

With Axis, when you are marketing / calling / meeting with large end users as much as they do, it can help legitimize the Axis sales rep vs other sales reps for those end users who hold ASIS certs.

(1)
GK
Greg Karpinsky
Jun 02, 2016

I think the IPVM tests are excellent and I've taken many of them to build my knowledge. I have an extensive technical sales background (enterprise IT equipment) but little video surveillance.

I've also learned a lot from the IPVM books. So I totally agree that if an employee studied these and took the tests they would be more competent.

I also learned a good bit from the networking guide which was slightly surprising as and I have a fairly good base networking knowledge (not a Cisco tech or anything really high level but strong enough).

I have education funds available to me now but I paid for the subscription myself just for the personal knowledge and it was worth what I paid. I realize not everyone would be in a financial position to do this and I did it because I am breaking into the field. Point being I would have been very motivated to get paid to increase my knowledge and getting paid to study and take various certifications is common in the IT industry.

Education builds knowledge and professionalism and being paid to keep pace should not be underestimated.

Armando Perez
Jun 05, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Sean, we currently do this. The ipvm certification is worth anywhere from 1 to dollars an hour permanently.

We also require 8 to 12 hours of additional training per quarter and they get 2 bucks an hour the following quarter when they do it.

Results so far are good.

Michael Silva
Jun 02, 2016
Silva Consultants

I think that increasing the level of general security knowledge possessed by employees of manufacturers of security/surveillance systems is a good thing. The same holds true for employees of integration companies. As I have stated in the past, the PSP and CPP credentials are far from perfect, but do give the certificate holder some exposure to the broad range of security measures that exist other than electronic security technology.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What does ASIS charge to get certified?

Does the employee put out everything up front?

Between membership, courses, tests, retests and a lifetime of keep current fees, ASIS might in the position to kick back a little to Axis for any new business. I'm kidding, I think.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

Charges:

You could try to do it without the last 2 but since the information is scattered over 8 books, its a hard thing to navigate.

ASIS might in the position to kick back a little to Axis for any new business.

Well, Axis is probably ASIS's #1 customer literally, after you factor in all they spend advertising, exhibits, sponsorships they buy from them.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Well, Axis is probably ASIS's #1 customer literally...

I always figured it was one of the huge staffing conglomerates...

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

Look at the ASIS 2016 show floor. Axis has the biggest ASIS booth. The staffing conglomerates were probably bigger payers years ago but now it is dominated by product companies like Axis.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 02, 2016

Round numbers there are 39,000 ASIS members. Axis currently has 34 certified PSP's who are members. That is out of over 6500 ASIS certifications in total.

I suspect the Axis incentive is a "wash" professionally--some seek it to get their $3K and then drop their ASIS membership and involvement. Others sought the certification long before they joined Axis or before Axis provided the $3K and remain engaged in ASIS activities for years.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2016
IPVM

Round numbers there are 39,000 ASIS members

Are there really? I ask because after ASIS hiked prices 30%, they stopped listing the total number of members on their website (it was previously always prominent on their about page) and when I asked them about what their current membership levels were, they did not respond. Those 2 actions combined indicate that the membership levels are significantly lower. That is, of course, neither here nor there to Axis incentivizing ASIS certs, but it is related to the previous ASIS member claims.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 02, 2016

Good Point. I went back and looked, instead of going based on what had been said for so long. Current membership appears to be between 28-29K.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 02, 2016

I would do it if I were an employee of Axis if only to earn $3k and build my resume. They would have to pay for the continuing education.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 05, 2016

Anything that encourages manufacturing employees to stay (somewhat) more connected to the end user's perspective is good, in my opinion.

VMS companies should consider this, from their code and development teams to sales. We find that, while with good intentions, VMS sales team members desire to stay closely connected to integrator's clients and "help" manage the relationship with the end user but often do not truly understand the end user's perspective/goals. This can get messy for the integrator who may not really need the assistance managing the relationship with the end user.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions