Subscriber Discussion

Axis P5415-E Not Enough Power For Camera And Pan Tilt Motor Message

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Apr 17, 2017

I had configured and burned in a P5415-E prior to shipping it to a partner for installation outdoors.   Now that they have it,  the cam is on the network, but we are getting "Not enough power for camera and pan tilt motor" message on the video window of the cameras web interface when trying to bring it up.   Prior to shipping the rig, I had tested with a PoE+ switch for four weeks with the same cable I send an inline with an Ubiquity lightning arrestor device about 1 foot from the camera.   So there is a 50 foot cable, the arrestor, and a 1 foot patch to the axis cam.   All was tested for a two week burn before sending using a simple cheap 48v PoE+ switch.    Not working now at deployment site and also tried a Mimosa 56v PoE+ injector they have at the site.   Same issue remains.    Going to try bypassing the lightning arrestor with a male-to-male adaptor next, but wondering if there is anything known about these cameras were something can go wrong internally with these cameras and they end raising these messages even if power is supplied Ok.  

Would like to ask if others have trouble shot this problem before with Axis.

Thanks,

B

Brian Rhodes
Apr 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What type of PoE+ source did you use during 'burn in'?

To confirm, this is different than what is being used in the field?

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Apr 17, 2017

Thanks for the reply Brian.

The PoE+ source during burn-in was a 4 port 65watt PoE+ switch.   I had actually burned-in two cams simultaneously off this single switch.   The deploy site is *not* using this switch as they had one there already (is a WiSP site on building top with lots of existing gear.)   At first, they had a 200 foot run of cat5e, so we thought that was it, but now, we are using my original 45foot cable and even tried a high Mimosa 56v PoE+ injector and still same issue.   Seems it should work.   I do have a 60W T8124-E midspan I could ship them but really want to understand if it could be something else first.  It logically seems the latest config should be working given my burn in scenario.    Wondering if the PTZ head can get jarred in shipment and maybe drawing a lot of current trying to run diags?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Rhodes
Apr 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Did you plug the camera into a 'hot' source, or was it turned on later?

One thing to try is to reboot the power source to redo the PoE negotiation, per similar troubleshooting in other models.

Mike Dotson
Apr 17, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified
In my lab, when evaluating POE supplies, I have had good luck with this piece of equipment: Triplett / Byte Brothers POE1000IL Inline POE Analyzer. You would check close to the PSE origin , then at the PD location. This would say if the PSE + cable are working well together.
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 17, 2017

I have found poor ( cheap) Cat 6 Patch jumpers to cause problems with POE plus applications.  If you can verify current being sent via teh switch that would be helpful.  Also there are some meters that measure poe power provided in line that would help in these situations.   I have found a few issues with firmware and certain switches ( Cisco) with the LLDP compatibility.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 17, 2017

You haven't mentioned if the switch is 802.3AT or passive. If the supply is passive it can be problematic. If you can enable LLDP (or LLDP MED TLV) on the switch that might fix the problem.

The P54 series cameras are have a quirk where they need to be placed in the correct orientation before power up otherwise PTZ operations fail, but this doesn't usually cause the 'not enough power' message.

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Apr 17, 2017

Some good tips here so far.   Thanks.  To answer one question, this is all 802.3AT mode PoE+ I'm using here.

Thanks,

Brian

UI
Apr 19, 2017

Which switch is it? Was there any LLDP setting? How about the surge protector?

EP
Eddie Perry
Apr 17, 2017

Your issue seams to be the surge arrester  you have.

looks like it doesnt support POE+ just 802.3af I havent seen any that say 802.3at compliant. Take the surge arrester out of the line and see what happens if it clears up then you need a new plan for surge protection Surge arrester

(2)
BD
Brian Dombrowski
Apr 19, 2017

Hi All,

First.  Thanks to all who replied for all the info, constructive feedback and ideas.   I very grateful for the thoughtful and timely responses.

Update:

The deploy crew had given up on the PoE switch 200ft away in favor of a PoE injector about 50ft away.  What I found is that the Mimosa 56v PoE injector last tried was 56v. at 0.28a.  That is only 15.5w.  Not enough obviously.   Got them a 60w Axis T8124 and it came right up with the Ubiquiti arrestor inline and all.

Now I just have to deal with camera shake from wind, but that's maybe a thread for another post :-)

Thanks,
Brian

(1)
UI
Apr 19, 2017

FYI - Axis recommend using the belt drive cameras such as P55/P56/Q60 where there is vibration as opposed to the drive drive P54 models. This is also why there is no direct pole mount for the P54.

(4)
BD
Brian Dombrowski
Apr 19, 2017

I modified a Dahua pole mount adapter for the p5415-E and it was pretty easy,  very economical,  works well, and looks decent.  (No security issues with a Dahua pole mount adapter.)   We are going to get the wind shake way down using mast joiners to an adjacent mast.    Effectively the mast mount setup will look more like a short ladder than a single pole when we are done.  

UI
Apr 20, 2017

Be aware you might find that the servos in the camera magnify any small vibrations in the mount. They are designed to go on the side of buildings.

Dave Arnould
Apr 19, 2017

I just had the same issue with an Axis  Q6035-E. I had to swap out the broken Axis 60 Watt POE injector for another. everything looks to be running now.

Paul Curran
Apr 20, 2017

You need a large 60 Watt POE injector , seen this so many times.

:)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions