its a long shot, but it shouldn't hurt to try this:
type the password using %% instead of just %.
if that doesnt work try using \% instead of %. Note that is a backslash, not a forward slash.
what side is the camera on, nudist or nun (of my business)?
Also, try skipping the % sign altogether.
try different browsers, axis camera tool, etc...
do you know how to ssh into it?
So I defaulted a M3006 with firmware 5.55 and chose a new password using an embedded % it and it worked fine.
I also changed a P3367 with firmware 5.60.1 root password to one with an embedded % and had no problems logging in and changing it back. Note that I did not factory default this one, only changed the root password because its being used and didn't want to chance it getting screwed up.
What exact OS/browser and version did you use? There are sporadic complaints of people saying they have had problems with special characters and axis camera, but no official word that I was on Axis site.
Thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated.
To answer Undisclosed A:
1. Tried replacing % with %% and \% as you suggested but no luck.
2. On nunnery side...I've never asked too many questions.
3. Tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE (Windows 7) with same results and yes - I can SSH into it but same issue when it asks for root password.
Also, FYI I have been able to reproduce this again on the bench...here's steps if you're interested
(Using P3367-VE with FW 5.70*, using Chrome or IE)
1. Factory default
2. On first access (I have used Chrome and IE), assign password of bravo933
3. Answer questions about capture mode and power line frequency --> LiveView
4. Go to Setup --> Security --> Modify root user
5. Enter new password of kdje%1466
6. You now cannot access the camera without performing factory default
* Haven't checked other FWs yet