Axis NA Hiring Head Of Marketing - They Need It

JH
John Honovich
Oct 21, 2018
IPVM

UPDATE 2021

Axis is again hiring a head of marketing, posting:

The Director of Marketing holds ultimate responsibility for all marketing activities in the Americas (Marketing Communications, Branding and Events, Partner Marketing and Business Development Marketing) as well as Educational Services and Sales Development/Lead Generation.

Original 2018 post:

Axis job opening (deadline Nov 30, 2018):

We are currently recruiting a new Director of Marketing who will have ultimate responsibility for all marketing activities in North America and be part of the North American Management Team. The position reports directly to the Vice President, Americas.

In lieu of market pay, Axis offers:

Wednesday popcorn, Friday morning bagels, ping pong, and other fun activities add to the time we spend together.

Axis is bad at marketing (e.g., explained here at ISCW18). Most notably, they release lots of good new products but do a really bad job at promoting / explaining / marketing them. More broadly, for a company as large as they now are, they are nowhere near as visible as they could. I am not sure if a single new director is going to fix that as it might be more of a cultural / organizational problem but we will see.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

(2)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 21, 2018

You should throw your hat in the ring.  I don’t know of anyone who loves the brand more.  Would be a great addition to their team and the company could benefit from it.  

(2)
(3)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...Wednesday popcorn, Friday morning bagels, ping pong, and other fun activities...

New Marketing Director: “Time to blow off some steam. Where do I get a paddle and where is that bagel spread?”

Co-worker: “Fran used to handle all that stuff but she left a while back. I heard there’s a new guy but I’m not sure he’s up to speed yet...”

New Marketing Director: “Who is it?”

Co-worker: “You”

(2)
TH
Terrence Harless
Oct 22, 2018

Axis has been one of the best camera manufacturers that market to Security Consultants, at least in my experience.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 22, 2018
IPVM

They do heavily market to consultants, which recalls on of IPVM's first controversial posts - The Axis Corruption Cruise Returns

JH
John Honovich
May 30, 2019
IPVM

Update: Axis has filled the position, from inside, promoting / transferring Bob Moore, who had previously been Canada Country manager and an Axis employee for 14  years.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 30, 2019

Good thing they got an Influencer, I hear that is a pretty important qualification these days.

Anytime I see someone over 20 call themselves an Influencer, I think of this:

(7)
JH
John Honovich
May 30, 2019
IPVM

but is he a 'thought leader'? :)

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 17, 2021
IPVM

That was quick, Bob Moore is out as Axis Americas Director of Marketing.

Whereas Moore billed himself as a 'change evangelist | Influencer | Marketing Enthusiast' in 2019, he now has upgraded himself to a:

IPVM Image

Axis Americas marketing continues to be lackluster, whether it is his fault or not, I do not know.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 18, 2021
IPVMU Certified

“Find that enthusiasm and joy for that which I really love which is ...disrupting markets.”

ah, the simple pleasure of disruption...

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Feb 18, 2021

Dear Bob, please don't disrupt our market! Guys like you will come and go, and we just simply don't like to work on a disrupted market...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 18, 2021

IPVM Image

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 23, 2021
IPVM

UPDATE, Axis is again hiring a head of marketing, posting:

The Director of Marketing holds ultimate responsibility for all marketing activities in the Americas (Marketing Communications, Branding and Events, Partner Marketing and Business Development Marketing) as well as Educational Services and Sales Development/Lead Generation.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 24, 2021
IPVMU Certified

there’s something a bit otherworldly as being referred to as an “Axian”...

Why imagine what it’s like when you could be one of nearly 3000 Axians worldwide contributing to the culture and innovation? Taking the first step to being an Axian is easy, all you have to do is apply!

presumably, the last step is being Axed.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 24, 2021
IPVM

As we mentioned in our Axis culture report, it's an achievement to get fired from Axis

U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 24, 2021

I imagine the people at Axis are very nice folks. I've met many in the field and quite a few more Axians in Chelmsford when they brought me there for a full day interview many years ago.

The thing I quickly noticed was the word 'fit' in every third sentence spoken by everyone involved in the onboarding process. i.e. they make it obvious that someone who can 'fit' into their culture is who they are looking for.

and I've got no problem with that either - I think it is a good thing for them to be doing.

But to put it in ice cream terms, I felt that they were looking for Vanilla and I'm more Rocky Road.

So I found a Rocky Road bunch to roll with within a few weeks - 2 days before the HR Axian emailed me the bad news that I wasn't the right flavor for them.

(2)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions