Axis Explains How 'Arctic Temperature Control' Works

Brian Rhodes
Dec 16, 2014
IPVMU Certified

We occasionally have discussions about protecting cameras in cold weather.

In the clip below, Axis explains how their frigid temperature models work. They disable the moving parts of the PTZ or Power Zoom models until the onboard heater warms everything up enough to thaw out:

The feature prevents damage from power outages where the heater is completely off for a period of time. It does not add more heating capacity beyond 'normal' onboard heaters.

With Axis' method, if a camera is indeed frozen, it might remain disabled or stationary until it warms up enough to operate without risk of damage.

Contrast this approach with 'other' more aggressive housings like Dotworkz Ring of Fire Camera Housing that beef up the heating element.

I think I would prefer a bigger/higher powered heater, but this might be needlessly expensive.

Does Axis' (delay until warm) approach surprise you? Anyone with field experience using it?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 16, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I have no problem with the 'soft start' approach Axis is deploying here, but I think calling it 'Arctic Temperature Control' is misleading. I mean, frozen is frozen right? To me, the name indicates something 'extra'.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 16, 2014
IPVM

Well, I don't think the marketing department wanted to go with 'Arctic Soft Start'...

But, yes, I had imagined there was something more high tech than delaying the start of mechanical components. If this is a help, would seem a fairly straight forward thing for others to do?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions