Axis Co-Founder Boasts That Canon 'Solely Focused On Cameras'

JH
John Honovich
Apr 18, 2015
IPVM

Axis Co-founder Martin Gren opined on the Canon acquisition:

"The first time I met, I never thought we'd accept the offer. What we bring to the table is the long-term view. The industry is changing; we're in an era of consolidation. Canon can provide a lot of benefits to access. They are so much bigger and are solely focused on cameras. They focus on high-quality components like lenses and image sensors, and they have a huge patent portfolio.

Canon understands the value in Axis. Canon understands this and they will let us act as an independent company as we do today." [emphasis added]

Though Canon is 'solely focused on cameras', Canon also owns VMS manufacturer, Milestone Systems.

We're in an era of consolidation where VMSes are bundled with cameras.

(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 19, 2015

I think the writing is on the wall with this one...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 19, 2015

When a company over sells there go to market strategy about remaining an open platform I begin to wonder. First they want to be able to compete with Avigilon to give software away to buy hardware.

I believe the Japanese will want to reduce cost and not have duplications. If they were smart they would be a closed platform between milestone and Axis and also be open as well. I do believe that the 2 companies will work together to get as much business as they can.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions