Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Best Way To Backup Footage From My Axis Camera To The Cloud?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 07, 2017

Hi,

I'm a newbie having just bought but yet to install my first ip camera: Axis P1435-le (22m). The camera records HDTV 1080p at up to 60 fps. It will be setup at my home and monitoring my driveway. I also work for a cloud storage company. To not run afoul of any company policies, I'll abstain from naming the company. Apologies if that makes this any harder. 

What I would like to do is to install the 64 GB MicroSD card into the Axis camera and have it write there for initial storage. I'd also like to backup all the footage to the cloud storage via my company API or application(s).

Background about me: I'm an engineer, I work in cloud storage (already said that), I know Linux and would like to design a system for my own home based around the Axis P-1435-le (22mm). I have a raspberry Pi3 installed at home if that helps. I can also get and run a cheapo/old laptop with whatever OS/application(s) make sense. There's a chance for another camera but probably not more beyond that.

So far, I've downloaded or tested out Sighthound and ipConfigure orchid. Still no camera so not really able to do much testing as yet. Camera should arrive tomorrow. I would have free/unlimited access to storage through my company. My internet connection at home is 250/30 comcast cable.

I read this: Free VMS Software Directory

Question: 

What is the best way to backup footage from my Axis camera to the cloud? 

Bonus points if you don't mention FTP.

Thanks.

Bob Kusche
Jun 07, 2017

Select a respected Video Management Solution (VMS) that offers that as a feature.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 08, 2017

Turns out this was much easier than I expected.

I installed orchid ipconfigure on my RPI3. I did a webdav mount of the cloud storage provider on my RPI3. I configured the Axis camera over ONVIF from orchid and done.

(4)
Ethan Ace
Jun 08, 2017

That's interesting! I was going to ask if your cloud could be mounted as a drive. If that's the case, I think many/most VMSes could do this. I'm trying to think through a way to move it to camera straight to cloud but I don't think they allow it so simply. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions