Subscriber Discussion

Axis Camera P3367 And Hikvision NVR Integration

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 15, 2017

I am in the process of installing 40 axis P3367 cameras and a hikvision 64 channel NVR (DS-9664NI-ST), I am only able to view 7 cameras in multiple view, for the other cameras i keep getting the "No resource " error message. When i double click on the no resource area i am able to view the camera.

On the camera I have reduced the resolution of the cameras to 1980x1080, bit rate to 5 FPS and selected basleine with maximum bit rate limit of 512k with no luck.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Regards

JH
John Honovich
Sep 15, 2017
IPVM

This has been covered in other IPVM discussions, e.g.,:

[No Resource] is caused from maxed out bandwidth. You can double-click on the window that says "No Resource" and it should bring that camera up showing you that it is in fact working. This is because you are dropping the other cameras from live view and now have available bandwidth to view that one. If that proves to be the case, you will need to adjust the max bitrates in the Recording Configs. Saw this many times and finally learned.

Related, if you are going to spend the premium for Axis cameras, why not buy either Axis' NVR or a premium VMS appliance (Exacq, Milestone Husky, etc.).

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 15, 2017

This is a big no no using that many generation 2011 5MP Axis cameras on a Hikvision NVR. What was the rationale for using a Hikvision head end on with all Axis cameras? I'm not sure about Axis's mobile app but they have this nice NVR box now. It has to be price competitive compared to 3rd party VMSs that have license fees.  Exacq and Milestone have appliances and support for integration to these cameras plus the proper history of firmware updates unlike Hikvision does. 

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 15, 2017

No way I'd use this NVR with multiple 5MP cameras. Let alone for local viewing. 

You're asking for A LOT of service issues and calls. 

You're better off using a DS-9664NI-I8 or 2 DS-9632NI-I8's than an ST or as John mentioned, a proper VMS appliance.  

(1)
Sean Nelson
Sep 15, 2017
Nelly's Security

That is an "older model Hik NVR but You should easily be to view 64 axis cameras with those settings on that NVR. You have 200 Mbps to work with

If I had to guess, you probably need to lower the substream of your cameras to D1 or lower (704x480). This NVR uses substreams on multi-view to save on processing power. I come to this conclusion because you said that when you pull the camera up full screen, you can see the camera. That means its displaying your mainstream but not your substream. Lower your substream and see what that does.

Also, not sure if Axis has different settings for motion detection, but if so, you may want to check those settings to make sure they arent set really high too.

(1)
UM
Sep 15, 2017

Have you ever installed one of these or are you going by Hik "Specs" ?

Sean Nelson
Sep 15, 2017
Nelly's Security

We have sold a few back in the day on spec order and have worked with them. Clients didn't use them with Axis cameras that I know of but their was no reported issues such as what is described above. I cant imagine why the Axis aspect would be causing the issue.

have you installed one of them?

UM
Sep 15, 2017

Hundreds. 

Dont do it. They are inexpensive Linux boxes for a reason. That upper bandwidth limit is equivalent to cheap knock off speaker saying "max 1000 watts".

The I8 has a better processor but they will not serve local and network video simultaneously without causing issues.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Sep 15, 2017
Nelly's Security

I agree with you the I8 is a better NVR but he should not be having those problems he has been having with the settings he has unless it just has to do with pure incompatibility issues for the Axis cameras. Even if the Hik specked 200 Mbps is far fetched, this is only 20 Mbps we are talking about. 

We have had the I8 64 Ch in our showroom for quite a while now with about 40 cameras on it. What do you mean by  "will not serve local and network video simultaneously without causing issues."

Also, just out of curiousity. Since you are listed as a manufacturer, why have you installed 100's of Hikvision NVR's?

(1)
UM
Sep 15, 2017

Read below 👇🏻

Sean Nelson
Sep 15, 2017
Nelly's Security

What exactly are you wanting me to look at? As far as live viewing and recording at the same time? No problems at all, not only that, many people can be logged in over the network as well. Also, sold tons of these and never had a reported problem. Thats why I was asking what problems you have had. I have less experience with the ST I will say but again, i dont think it should have this issue.

The only downside this has compared to a server based PC machine I guess is multi channel playback, we arent able to playback all 64 channels at a time, can just playback 16 on this. But honestly, for most customers, thats not much of a downside, exceptions being few. For most incident based playback issues, you are only going to be viewing a few cameras at a time, and in most cases just one.

No disrespect but the idea that standalone based NVR's suffer compared to PC based NVR's is old hat, probably based on an experience when standalone NVR's first came out because when NVR's first came out, you had to pay close attention to bit rate limits and frame rate limits. Nowadays though, NVR's have come along way and the bit rates are set so high that you really dont have to worry about exceeding them. Frame rate limits are pretty much gone as well.  

For 64 channels or less, I stand by my opinion that a standalone embedded NVR is a much more sleek and cost effective way to go for most customers (not all, but most).  

(1)
Mike Dotson
Sep 15, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

This is the unfortunate situation with IP based cameras and NVR systems that happens far too often. 

A good #1 rule is to NOT try and use the NVR as a Viewstation.  You WILL lose CPU resource very quickly and drastically affect the recording engine.

I have been preaching to our sales folks to always ask the question about where the streams will be viewed in order to prevent situations like this.

This is where a NVR with a real OS (Linux/Windows) could help because you can see how much resource you are using up on the fly and stop when its too much.

These embedded units...not so much help.

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Sep 15, 2017

Cutting corners get's you nowhere. Like previous poster said why that many 5MP Axis cameras on a Hik NVR, even at 200Mbps you would be struggling between incoming and outgoing traffic. Poor design which would have failed on the test bench...

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Sep 15, 2017

You should have studied the Bandwidth calculations and did your due diligence when designing the system. We just completed a mini-system with (60) 5mp Hikvision 2552  (7)12mp 360  and (5) Dark fighter P T Z all on Hikvision ran on (5) 9632i8's. Runs great, no issues, been up for months. All outputs are on the Hik-Central platform. 

JH
John Honovich
Sep 16, 2017
IPVM

We just completed a mini-system with (60) 5mp Hikvision 2552 (7)12mp 360 and (5) Dark fighter P T Z all on Hikvision ran on (5) 9632i8's.

#5, you have 77 cameras running on (5) 32 channel NVRs, is that correct? If so, could you not have done this on just (3) 32 channel NVRs? Per spec, (3) 32 channel NVRs should support 96 total cameras and 600Mbps bandwidth. I am curious to understand the decision that lead to 5 NVRs.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Sep 16, 2017

Hi

It seems that whenever Hik is mentioned there is a chorus of negative points. The NVR you used has indeed a max bandwidth of 200 Mbps but this also includes what goes on the HDD. if you're using RAID 5 you won't be able to use more than 10  5 MP cameras. The new model (i8) perhaps but this is not while using RAID 5...

Now to all the naysayers, the Hik NVR are  solid performers. They work without missing a bit. Much more reliable than a COTS + VMS solution. The feature set is, for most purposes,  adequate. Not as full featured as , say , a Milestone NVR running their Xprotect would be but for most SMB, largely sufficient. You can't view 30 cameras at the same time but for MOST customer that is rarely asked for.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Sep 16, 2017

Where is the hang up? On the NVR?

What if using a PC for viewing? Let's say he took the same setup, and used a PC with Hiks software and connected 2 monitors to the PC? Would that reduce the load on the NVR?

I am quoting a system now with 27 cameras and two Dahua 16 channel NVR's. Dahuas calculator is telling me 120 Mbps bandwidth with the cameras running 264, 4MP, 15 FPS and 4500 Kbps. With each NVR quoting 200+ Mbps bandwidth, this should be plenty.

We also plan on setting up a workstation with Smart PSS and a 40" TV to live view the cameras.

Issues?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Sep 16, 2017

I'm not a HIK expert, I don't install or service their products.  

NVR's of this class across several brands use the primary HD stream for a few channels in multi-view and the secondary stream for the balance, or all secondary in multi-view because small screens don't need to be HD and it does kill the processing capability. 

I would venture to guess the recorder is using the primary stream on some which it has no problem decoding and viewing and the secondary stream for others, which it does have an issue with. 

You might be able to correct the issue by changing the secondary stream to something it likes (D1/128k) or similar.   It might not be able to access the secondary stream and that would also create this issue.

Obviously HIK cameras have no issue switching between streams on this recorder.

HIK might find the camera as AXIS or possibly ONVIF.  This could create or resolve the issue.

Next time, stay all HIK is my suggestion and I don't work for them either!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #9
Sep 18, 2017

Note: Hikvision Employee

First- thank you Sean for some excellent technical replies on this thread.

Incoming/Outgoing bandwidth and local display output capabilities are not directly related.

Info below is from our Tech Support team:

There is a chance the Axis camera didn’t send the sub stream to the NVR or is not supported by the NVR. It really depends on the camera firmware version.

So if the sub-stream is not supported, then the NVR will only be able to display mainstream of the camera on the local gui (9664NIST has decoding capability up to 8 1080P on the local display)

So right around 7/8 camera, it will see no resource.

Sync the VGA/HDMI display and disable BNC display may help or using the switching mode to display 2x2 at a time.

To conclude, I would suggest contacting your local Hikvision support office. We have dedicated resources for 3rd party integration issues also.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions