Subscriber Discussion

Avigilon PTZ Powered By 24VAC And NVT PoE Eoc

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

What would happen if the Avigilon 2.0W-H3PTZ-DP20 had both local 24VAC power and was connected to a class 2 PoE EoC, like the NVT NV-EC1701-KIT4? Would the camera draw PoE power at all? Would it only draw 24VAC local power? The NVT NV-EC1701-KIT4 has a max budget of 48W of PoE power when using the 60W adapter and four cameras. My goal is to locally power each PTZ using the existing 24VAC supplies at the pole. My worry is that the cameras may still try to pull PoE power, which is rated at 25.5W each, and would exceed the budget of the NVT kit. Can anyone confirm this scenario?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This was my similar conundrum: Dahua Speeddome Incompatible With Dahua NVR

Still draws from both, still runs. It won't start on POE alone, but if you disconnect the AC after it boots it stays running.

I know you want to reuse the 24V AC, but couldn't you also just add a 60W ps on to one of the four transceivers at the camera end, to give you plenty of power?

Slinging the Big A now I see. Congrats....

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Not my choice of products, but we are a sub on this deal, so you have to go with what they want. Replacing old analog Pelco PTZs that have local 24VAC at the poles already. Some runs are over 1000ft with RG11. Using the 4 way Kit, we could step up to the 90W PSU, but that still only powers 3 of 4 channels when the PTZ needs 25.5W each. Another thin is we could step down to 2 way kits with the 60W and be fine on most runs. Some of these really long ones have me worried.

I also noticed in the Avigilon specs that the operating temp range is not as low with PoE. When using AC power, it can operate in colder environments. Another reason to use the 24VAC.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Jon, you can have up to two 60W power supplies on the network.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

What if I was using the 4 way kit? Would the two 60W PSUs attached at two ends provide power to the other two 1701s?

Is there a reason why we couldn't use a 60W at each of the 4 1701s? Is it an electrical code reason, or is there a practical limit? The reason isn't clear.

Is there a reason why your 90W adapters cannot be used at the camera end?

In the case where we decide to not use the PoE capabilities of the 1701 units, do you have a preference on how we filter the PoE signal? The Avigilon PTZs can operate in lower temps (-22F vs -50F) with AC power. It's not likely that this site will be below -22F, but may get close to that range in extreme cases.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is there a reason why your 90W adapters cannot be used at the camera end?

Full undisclosre: I am NOT affiliated with NVT.

Is there a reason why we couldn't use a 60W at each of the 4 1701's?

Yes, the total allowed wattage, 120W, of the NVT network could be exceeded.

But you should only need to put 2 60W PS on any two transceivers to give 120W across all. Which is more than you need.

If they had 30W supplies, you *could* put one on each, but it's probably cheaper to buy a bigger one and share.

Remember this is a shared bus architecture, any signal or power transmitted is available all nodes.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

If I have four 30W PTZ cams on this shared bus, I will exceed the budget. The 1701 units each pull 3W too. That is an additional 15W that I cannot account for.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If I have four 30W PTZ cams on this shared bus...

You said 25.5W and camera is 25.5W, so 117W total?

Still, I agree it's a bit close.

I mistakenly assumed you were committed to the NVT Poe EOC units, otherwise I would have mentioned there are many without POE, like the old school ebridge from Altronix, that I have used, and they're cheap too.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 02, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I was padding the 25.5W for distance ;)

No, I had something else on my brain that was 30W. Was tapping some 70V speakers and it stuck.

Anyways, we have come to the conclusion that we will use the NV-EC1701-K2H kit, which provides a 90W PSU at the head end, and we will just not use the power at the pole at all.

We are doing this for two reasons:

1) Splitting 90W two ways instead of 120W four ways ensures plenty of PoE power per camera.

2) Splitting the max capacity of 93mbps per 1701 at the head end two ways instead of four ways gives us plenty of head room for bandwidth.

The one downside is we will need an additional rack tray due to this. Also, the cost is higher, but that is less important than a functioning system.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Nice to have a group of like minded people to bounce ideas off of.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 01, 2016

Answer is simple

from Avigilon doc

"Avigilon PTZ's can only support either PoE or a power brick but not both at the same time."

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Answer is simple

from Avigilon doc

"Avigilon PTZ's can only support either PoE or a power brick but not both at the same time."

What would be simpler would be if they included that clearly worded line in the the install guide for the camera, no?

Or at least made it a public document, no?

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 01, 2016

"Or at least made it a public document, no?"

I don't know about public

but Avigilon partners should know this

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I don't know about public

but Avigilon partners should know this

Yes of course; and that is the way it should be.

Who knows, if this kind of information fell into the wrong hands, it could be helpful to Avigilon users who have foolishly abandoned their authorized partners.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 01, 2016

" it could be helpful to Avigilon users who have foolishly abandoned their authorized partners"

few choices for users:

Get new partner

Call Avigilon support

Join IPVM (somebody will help or make fun of you)

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 01, 2016
IPVM

2, thanks for sharing the information.

1, please cease commentary on this.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Apologies, 2, good info. :)

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 01, 2016

(1)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I spoke with NVT support today and they are recommending we use the CLEER product line instead. They say it allows for 100mbps full duplex per coax run vs 93mbps total (up and down).

Has anyone used the CLEER product me or have any working knowledge?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions