Subscriber Discussion

Avigilon H4 PTZ 1MP 45x Optical Zoom Does Not Make Sense

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 03, 2017

Avigilon has a new H4 PTZ 1MP camera that claims to have 45x optical zoom. What's up with that? 45x optical zoom in a camera that has a 4.3 to 129mm lens? How? When we say something as X optical zoom, isn't it related with the focal length of the lens? So shouldn't it be 30x zoom (4.3x30=129)? Or shouldn't it have a lens of up to 193.5mm (4.3x45=193.5)?

And the 2MP version of the same camera with the exact same lens has 30x zoom. What? Any thoughts on this?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2017
IPVM

#1, good question.

We'll confirm with Avigilon but it looks like it is based on using a 2MP sensor for the 1MP model, only using 1MP subsection of it, providing the additional zoom.

Notice on this crop of their data sheet everything is the same except for the resolution and minimum AoV:

To that end, I think it's partially using a digital zoom as it is only showing the 'inner' part of the imager for that '1MP'.

I'll update with any response from Avigilon or other input.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Seperately it says digital zoom up 100x.  I think maybe its a longer lens. 

UI
Jan 03, 2017

Physically the two models could be different as a bigger lens could require a bigger case, but in their data sheet the dimensions of both cameras are the same (they have two formats, a pendant and a ceiling mount).

Or maybe the case can support a bigger lens...

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Also, they are quite explicit here:

JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2017
IPVM

But notice this unclear statement from Avigilon:

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Good point.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think that the 129mm number in the red box is wrong.

Reason is because the dark blue shading indicates the values should be different and they're not.  

Edit: I originally was using 40x instead of 45x

(1)
UI
Jan 03, 2017

If it was 172mm then they should say it has 40x optical zoom, not 45x...

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yes, you're right, I used 40x by accident.  Still I think it must be a different lens because the AOV is also different, which is highly unusual unless the optics have changed.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Also, something screwy about the imager size.  At 4.8mm x 2.7mm its smaller than even at 1/3" format sensor, which is usually 4.8mm h x 3.6mm v, yet its listed as a 1/2.8".

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 03, 2017

Leave it to you nerds to go and spoil all of Avigilon's fun with their new toy.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jan 09, 2017

It is pure optical 45x zoom on 1.3MP H4 PTZ. You can see them in live if you visit Intersec 2017 in Dubai on 22-24 January. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

thanks.

so any idea what the actual focal length is since 129/4.3 = 30?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 09, 2017
IPVM

#4 is an Avigilon employee but not authorized to speak on Avigilon's behalf. We have asked Avigilon twice to respond but no response yet.

UI
Jan 23, 2017

Hi John,

no news from Avigilon, right? So very typical, so easy to fabricate bull in a data sheet...

JH
John Honovich
Jan 23, 2017
IPVM

I followed up 3 times but no details back from Avigilon. I did get one response from Avigilon that they had received the inquiry and were looking at it but no details yet. I just sent another email to them. Thanks for bumping it.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions