Subscriber Discussion

Auto Tracking For Neighborhood Surveillance

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 20, 2017

A local neighborhood has been plagued for years by a rash of vehicle "break-ins" where the perpetrators walk down the street and try the doors on vehicles, ransacking ones that are left unlocked. Generally no damage done and minor items taken but they're getting fed up with it and have inquired about a surveillance camera mounted on a lamp post.

The goal is to provide police decent footage to be able to identify and eventually apprehend those involved. The crimes are happening generally late night/early morning so there isn't anyone able to actively monitor a camera and manipulate a PTZ so smart/auto tracking has been suggested.

Reading the various articles here it doesn't sound like the technology is yet the magic bullet for a situation like this, so I was considering something like the Hikvision DS-2DP0818Z-D PanoVu which would give an area view, and the PTZ for smart tracking. Ideally the PTZ would only smart track during certain times so it wasn't burning itself out tracking normal daytime traffic, and/or possibly link the panoramic image to trigger the PTZ for certain zones. That way it could monitor neighbors' driveways for example, and if motion/line crossing/intrusion is detected after hours the PTZ will slew, pick up a subject, and smart track.

Can anyone recommend this unit for this application, or perhaps something else that might work better?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 20, 2017

The issue with smart tracking is that the camera has to happen to be facing where the target appears to trigger. The chance of which is pretty slim.

When combined with line crossing / intrusion of the pano or another camera and call preset, it can help but what if another alert is triggered during tracking?

Another issue is the IR distance. Normally IR distance on pano cameras can be inferior to normal bullets.

I am not saying that Hik would not work, just some things you want to consider when making decision.

UI
Oct 21, 2017

All good points, I appreciate the perspective.

Regarding the triggering of events, it's a fairly quiet neighborhood especially at night so the likelihood of multiple simultaneous events would be slim. And if facial shots are all that's necessary from the PTZ and the remainder of activity could be recorded on the panoramic, a low latching time for the auto tracking could be used (i.e. 10-20 seconds) so it will unlatch the target after that time and potentially slew to the next event. I guess it depends how sophisticated the software is.

One thing that attracts me to the Hik PanoVu panoramic/PTZ is that it uses Darkfighter technology so it doesn't need IR (it's not advertised as Darkfighter but the light level specs are the same). It is a relatively dark neighborhood though so your point is definitely something to consider.

As I mention below however the cost on the PanoVu is quite considerable. The advantage is it's a bit less obtrusive and obvious than say three or four domes or bullets pointing in all kinds of directions and obviously has greater flexibility.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 20, 2017

I have video of exactly this scenario but it’s not mine to share. 

A neighbor placed on a light pole at the request of the HOA an LPR and 2MP overview camera looking up and the same looking down the street.

Within a few weeks, a truck was broken into as someone drove up the street early in the morning on the opposite side, reaching out and checking for unlocked doors.  He found one in the camera view and spent about 6 minutes going through the vehicle with his car blocking the street.  He then went to another just behind it but upon opening the door the alarm activated and he fled in his car. 

Video of the entire incident and the plates were provided to the police.  Outcome unknown at this time, but video good enough to identify his vehicle, him, his plate and the entire burglary. 

Inexpensive HD coax products used. 

UI
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for the info, nice to hear it worked out in your scenario. I'm a big fan of Hik's TurboHD line both for cost and ease of install (minus the dicking around with baluns and separate power supplies; eagerly looking forward to PoC in TurboHD 4.0).

In my scenario unfortunately very rarely are vehicles involved. The perps are generally teens on foot so LPR wouldn't be of much benefit. Facial shots are what's really wanted.

After looking up my cost for the PanoVu camera I think I will start looking at alternatives that are just a bit less expensive...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 21, 2017

I think you are going to have to set low expectations for nighttime identification images of teens in a neighborhood.

If they are out to do wrong they will wear the normal attire of hoodies and hats.  The best you could hope for is a vehicle dome light coming on, at the right angle.

What I have started to see is neighbors getting together and installing multiple camera systems with at least one camera facing the street.  The IR distance is less and the shots are closer.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 21, 2017

I have auto-tracking at my home, honestly, just because I could get an inexpensive auto-tracking camera.

The number of times it looks at trees or shrubs that are moving in the wind is astounding. I'm sure I can tune it a little bit, but for the most part it sucks when the wind picks up.

UI
Oct 21, 2017

What camera do you have? I don't have any experience with smart tracking (yet) and most of my installs are with Hik equipment, but for motion detection for instance I can set not only the sensitivity but the screen area to monitor for motion. This is a vital component in excluding unwanted motion such as bushes in the wind.

It's not perfect by any means as it can still pick up things like the shadow of a bush in the wind, which you can't exclude because the shadow moves with the sun and the region needs to be monitored otherwise. But it should go a long way to eliminating false positives for you if the option exists.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions