Subscriber Discussion

Auto Tracking Camera

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 29, 2016

Im researching if "IT" really exist.

scenario:

factory floor shipping staging area.

from right side with overhead crane bundles move into view and down to staging.

client would like to see details of bundle with camera zooming-in on moving bundle and then zoom out when bundle is left on floor (for 1 min/or so)

repeat process with next bundle.

???

automated-motion sensing PTZ- camera?

VMS control?

thank you

Brian Rhodes
Jul 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Generally, auto tracking is not as sophisticated as users would like and I haven't really seen an example that would be operationally as accurate as your described process.

For the most part, auto-tracking relies on quiet scenes to track continuous movement. If you have a scene with several moving areas, as I am presuming your loading dock location is, the camera tends to skip around between areas.

Other cameras focus on the biggest mass of movement, so instead of following one track to competition, it hands off to another and tracks there instead. Light/shadows/glare can all be confusing factors.

You might check our A Successful PTZ Auto Tracking Case for more, but you must keep the according FoVs simple for it to be valuable, else a human operator is still going to be needed quite often.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 31, 2016

After abandoning easy way, I started reaserch from Brian comment.

Hikvision models cd-2df5/7/8xxx have what I'm looking for.

Hikvision calls it "smart tracking."

Maybe some versions work better then other, I'm sure newer hardware and firmware help.

Regardless "IT" does exist.

Thank's BRIAN for pointing in right direction

JH
John Honovich
Jul 31, 2016
IPVM

Hikvision models cd-2df5/7/8xxx have what I'm looking for.

Regardless "IT" does exist.

To be clear, many cameras market auto-tracking. 'It' exists. The question is how well it works.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is there never more than one bundle in motion?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions