Subscriber Discussion

Assa Abloy Battery Issues

MK
Michael Kearns
Oct 11, 2016

We just started using the Assa Abloy IN120 and the locks keep losing battery and going off line. The batteries are draining within a couple days which obviously is not good. We dont seem to be getting much help from the manufacturer and our first deployment of these locks has turned into a real nightmare. Supposedly Assa Abloy is working on a firmware fix but no other information has been communicated. 

Is anyone else having these issues? 

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Which access platform are you controlling them with?

MK
Michael Kearns
Oct 11, 2016

Genetec 5.4 SR3

Brian Rhodes
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

That's interesting, those locks are only supposed to poll the network when something happens, like a database update, door alarm, or unknown reads.

Has Assa told you what the 'firmware update' is fixing?

Brian Rhodes
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Michael: I've pinged Genetec to see if they have any solutions or help on this issue.

MK
Michael Kearns
Oct 11, 2016

Thanks and Assa Abloy is overnighting us new boards for these locks. From what I understand they changed the firmware recently which caused this issue. The bad news for us is that this deployment was a high profile one and new to us. We installed Assa locks in our law school building a couple years ago with no issues.

Also as I understand this has nothing to do with Genetec and is completely in Assa ballpark. I will keep you posted on how we make out tomorrow with the new boards.

Thanks

Michael

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Let us know if the new boards fix the issue. In the meantime, Genetec responded with this:

Typically [rapid battery drain] is because the lock is waking up too often and the Wi-Fi radio is draining the batteries, so that could be caused by a door held timer set too low.

In SC 5.5 and software version 10.3 we had added more granularity on the lock wake up options.

You can choose to wake the lock on door forced, door held open or both as it was before. The lock will also wake when an unknown card is presented.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions