ASIS Going To Las Vegas 2018 - Happy?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 11, 2017
IPVM

For the first time since 2007, the ASIS annual conference will be held in Las Vegas (though in the Las Vegas Convention Center, not the Sands). This will make 3 major American shows in a row in the same city (ISC West 2018, ASIS 2018, ISC West 2019).

So, what do you think?

Vote below and comment inside:

Michael Budalich
Apr 11, 2017
Genetec

I like Vegas so I don't really have an issue with it. However, I know a lot of other people in the industry are probably not thrilled about having to do Vegas for 3 consecutive major shows.

I guess ASIS sees that ISC west keeps growing year in and year out and thought "If we can't beat them join them"

JH
John Honovich
Apr 11, 2017
IPVM

thought "If we can't beat them join them"

Note: ASIS says Vegas in 2018 is a one year thing and just part of their ongoing rotation.

U
Undisclosed
Apr 17, 2017

Ignores the east coast.   That's ok, everybody east of Salt Lake City uses prox cards and default camera logins, right?

If they were international and had a rotation we'd all be taking a deep breath and spending the cash to go to the european show once in a while...

Cameron Javdani
Apr 11, 2017
Louroe Electronics

My hunch is that having all the major shows in Vegas will increase the attendance at east coast regional shows like ISC East or ESX.

(2)
Paul Grefenstette
Apr 12, 2017

I've only been to ASIS when it was in my city, Chicago.  I am curious how many integrators/dealers actually travel to attend ASIS?  We travel for one show every year and that has always been ISC West

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 12, 2017

I am curious how many integrators/dealers actually travel to attend ASIS?

Only once... never again.  If the timing weren't so uncooperative ISC West is the only show I would attend.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 12, 2017
IPVM

I am curious how many integrators/dealers actually travel to attend ASIS?

From our recent survey on trade show attendance, the pattern of integrators who went to both ASIS and ISC West tended to be senior people at larger integrators.

Paul Grefenstette
Apr 12, 2017

ahh old white guys that dont work much anymore and need an excuse to get out of the house ;)

(3)
(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Apr 20, 2017

I attend on a regular basis and have missed maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 20 years.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 20, 2018

I typically attend every year with the exception of last year when the conference was in Dallas. 

Not sure what the big deal is about Las Vegas... the conference does move every year and has since I can remember.  There is a conference in NYC  but it is very tiny in comparison. 

ASIS isn't really geared for the installer/dealer but more so for the end-users aka the security professionals.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 12, 2017
IPVM

UPDATE: ASIS 2018 will be held in the Las Vegas Convention Center, not the Sands where ISC West is.

The Las Vegas Convention Center is ~1.5 miles away from the Sands but is off the strip and northwest of the Sands.

Brian Karas
Apr 12, 2017
IPVM

I remember exhibiting there for CES, overall I think the Sands is a better location in terms of being on the strip and closer to more hotels/restaurants. But maybe the non-Sands location will have a bit of a novelty factor because it is different.

U
Undisclosed
Apr 17, 2017
It's not novel, it's outdated, out of the way, and outpaced by more modern 'Vegas venues. It's what your grandma booked back in the day when she ran a trade show in Las Vegas but couldn't afford the Bee Gees to play at the opening reception.
(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 12, 2017

This is a huge detractor, IMHO.  You can easily walk to the Sands, and easily walk to get meals.  The convention center is much more difficult.

(1)
Steve Beck
Apr 12, 2017

At least it's still pool season in Vegas. 

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Apr 12, 2017

Every Manufacturer that I have spoke to to is either cutting back, or eliminating, their spend on ASIS.  I think that should tell you everything you need to know.

(5)
(2)
Christopher Freeman
May 11, 2017

Every Year I get a new toy to compensate for the money I save by not going. 

this year was  2 toys , les paul Studio , and Taylor auditorium Guitars 

see whats next year 

(3)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
May 12, 2017

The LVCC is the crappiest venue ever.  If you look forward to LONG Taxi Queues and throngs of people trying to use limited concessions and such you will enjoy the show.  And LV is the late summer, if you like 100*+ temps you will be right at home, if this was in the spring it might be worth the trip.

Besides ASIS attendance dwindles each year, the quality of the show continues to fall every year.  IMO San Diego is where ASIS needs to go back to, stay away from places like Orlando just because the venue is cheaper in the "Hot Season"

(1)
(1)
JZ
Jeff Zwirn
Feb 20, 2018

No impact John

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions