Subscriber Discussion

Article About Clothing To Specifically Defeat Facial Recognition

Scott Napier
Jan 04, 2017

I have never really been in the camp of using facial recognition, and with the public nature of the facilities I work at now, this article solidifies my opinion even more. 

Anti-surveillance clothing aims to hide wearers from facial recognition

JH
John Honovich
Jan 04, 2017
IPVM

Scott, thanks for sharing.

Related: Beating Facial Recognition in 5 Easy Steps. Net/net - all you really need to do is look down, wear a hat, and/or have sunglasses on. Real criminals have known this for decades.

Btw, the funniest one is the guy who tried making a mask, video embedded below:

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Throw in a pair of Reflectables just to be sure:

Reflectacles Ghost - CCTV Footage - Anti Surveillance from Reflectacles on Vimeo.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 09, 2017

Another way to look at the issue (and yes, I'm a vendor):

Fingerprint identification systems should have been put out to pasture long ago. After all, we've known for decades that you can easily defeat a fingerprint identification system by wearing gloves.

Yet people still insist on leaving fingerprints at places and fail to wear gloves, and fingerprint systems are still getting hits.

Certainly a determined person can defeat any type of biometric identification system, including a multimodal system. And even less determined people can somewhat easily defeat some systems (although the false clothing and the like will have to get more realistic as vendor algorithms are defeated, and techniques that partially obscure the face will also have to get better as algorithms are better able to hit on the non-obscured parts of the face).

Yet people insist on going into secured areas with unobscured faces and bland clothing, and facial systems are still getting hits.

The ability to defeat any security technology (biometric, password, or old fashioned metal keys) does not in an of itself invalidate the technology. Not necessarily speaking for my company, but a multifactor authentication technology is still the best bet at reducing (not eliminating) spoofing behavior.

P.S. Interestingly enough, the public revelation of the clothing anti-spoofing technology, including the pattern, obviously provides the vendors with a test case to see if their systems are spoofed, and to make algorithm adjustments if necessary.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yet people still insist on leaving fingerprints at places...

Yes, I would even say most people do this.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 10, 2017

"Fingerprint identification systems should have been put out to pasture long ago. After all, we've known for decades that you can easily defeat a fingerprint identification system by wearing gloves."

this is a strawman argument - your 'after all' defense of the bolded part of your comment is no defense at all.

Fingerprint identification systems are generally in use at facility entrances - and provide a decent layer of access protection:  and nobody wear gloves when using them.

What perps who wear gloves are attempting to defeat is AFIS - the LE database of known perp fingerprints.

"Not necessarily speaking for my company, but a multifactor authentication technology is still the best bet at reducing (not eliminating) spoofing behavior."

I agree with this.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

"Fingerprint identification systems should have been put out to pasture long ago. After all, we've known for decades that you can easily defeat a fingerprint identification system by wearing gloves."

I think he is saying that criminals can defeat being fingered by the po-po by wearing gloves. Nonetheless, they still insist on the bare-handed grab, (because it feels more natural?).

Then he goes on to draw a parallel with facial systems, claiming that although such systems shouldn't be much of a challenge to render ineffective, criminals stubbornly refuse to dress for the occasion, and therefore allowing facial systems to identify perps.

Therefore,  until such time as criminals get their collective act together, we will be using these defeatable systems to catch them.

At least that is what it looks like he is saying :)

U
Undisclosed #5
Jan 10, 2017

So...when will drones be able to bloom cameras with a laser? It might seem far fetched however what if one could turn a drone into an aerial printer? Perhaps it may be possible to fly over a facility with 40+ perimeter cameras and spray paint them useless. Gee I just love thinking about this stuff at night. I can see the hell bent graffiti artist with some strong Arduino and Rasberry Pi skills staying up long nights in the lab. The duality of ambition comes in both flavors no matter how you look at it. If it ever came to it I bet one could also make a drone that is a superhero, that would be able to attack a rogue drone that attempted to disable a camera system. I don't watch TV but was there a show called Robot Wars?, where DIYers made their machines to battle? This could be a reality in a nearby future if you are up late at night and bored.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions