Subscriber Discussion

Arecont Vision 180/360 Alternatives?

Hai John, Is there any competitive brands equivalent to Arecont vision 20MP/8MP 180/360 degree cameras??? Regards, VS

>

Aurelien, that's a good suggestion. Now if they could only add H.264 and ONVIF, it would make it very attractive for the rest of the surveillance world to use.

you are so right :)

I'm using mobotix since many years and I have seen many VMS using MxPEG. It's realy used in europe.

Many integrators love the Q24 and it was the only 360° reliable during many months/years.

Aurelien, that's a good suggestion. Now if they could only add H.264 and ONVIF, it would make it very attractive for the rest of the surveillance world to use.

Mobotix D14 SEC with two 90° lenses. Color or B/W . It's a very good camera.

+ audio in/out and +PIR

Only the M3007 is panoramic and that is fisheye vs multi-imager. Biggest plus, vs the Arecont, is its super low cost but it wouldn't make the pixel count / image detail due to the Arecont's multiple imagers.

See our Axis M3007 panoramic review.

What about the Axis offerings, M30 series? Have not played with them yet but...
Many thanks for your reply. I am thinking about alternative to Arecont is only because it's looklike they are monopoly in this segment....

Why would anyone want an alternative to Arecont? :)

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options for multi-imager panoramics and Arecont overall has a very strong offering in this category. Here are some alternative multi-imagers to consider:

• Avigilon 180/360 - the most direct alternative but is JPEG2000 only (bandwidth hog) and proprietary to Avigilon.
  • Scallop Imaging - another multi-imager with a much smaller form factor but only 1fps max at full resolution.
  • Dallmeier Panomera - a sophicated, super high res offering but quite expensive and likely proprietary to them
  • Arktan - a startup with similar claims to Arecont but I am not sure if they are in business any more as we have not heard from or about them in more than a year
  • STP Logipix - a Hungarian company developing multi-imager cameras (up to a claimed 135MP). Ethan has been researching this but we've been having problems getting straight answers from the manufacturer. Looks like it is JPEG only.

If you are willing to consider fisheye cameras, there are a lot more options. That said, multi-imager cameras have a lot of advantages over fisheye. See our Panoramic / 360 camera selection guide for more.