Arecont Engineering Exec Exits / Replacement Appointed / Leaves Too

JH
John Honovich
Jan 24, 2014
IPVM

Arecont's VP of Engineering, Dr. Michael Korkin, has left the company. Outside of the 2 co-founders, Korkin was the longest tenured executive, starting in 2005. He is a co-inventor, with the CEO, of Arecont's patented multi-sensor network camera.

Arecont says he left to pursue other business interests and that they are seeking a new VP of Engineering with several strong candidates for the position.

[Update March 2014, Arecont has selected Sri Rama Prasanna Pavani. A researcher with a strong academic background, he has limited work experience and none in the surveillance industry. He evidently had been working at Arecont for a short period of time prior to his promotion to VP of Engineering.]

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 24, 2014

This is bad for Arecont. This guy is a brilliant engineer!

JH
John Honovich
Jan 24, 2014
IPVM

We asked Arecont: "How will this impact Arecont?

Their response: "We will be even stronger in delivering new, game changing technology to the market and development cycles will be reduced in 2014 and in the future."

Ethan Ace
Jan 24, 2014

Well at least they're optimistic.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 24, 2014

Translation: brace yourselves for Megaballs 3

JH
John Honovich
Jan 25, 2014
IPVM

"At Arecont, Megaballs is not only a product line, but our way of life."

Duane Wilde
Jan 24, 2014

I take that as "This guy kept holding us back! He kept trying to inject logic into solutions! We all know logic has no role in sales!"

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 24, 2014

It sounds like he and the operations guy didn't see eye to eye and he drew the short straw. That's not usually a good sign, especially in such a competitive market. Although its tough to say without knowing the full story.

JD
John Dummett
Jan 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hard to tell with these engineers. Some are like artists, just want to create and build for its own sake, without a demonstrated need, marketability or profitability as part of the equation. Other times they can be great guys with great ideas, sick of OPS and sales having them cook up another vanilla cost competitive offeriing just to compete in a given segment.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 25, 2014

"left to pursue other business interests" is one of my favorite business euphemisms...

because it says nothing at all. :)

U
Undisclosed #5
Jan 26, 2014

I sure hope he *left* them patents behind...

My ex-gal liked them euphemisms too, but she "left to pursue other romantic interests....."

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Jan 26, 2014

I have come to truely enjoy the use of Arecont cameras at our facility, hope that Arecont stays strong and continues to deliver what the people are looking for.

SB
Steve Bukoski
Jan 26, 2014
I have grown to really like there versatility. I've performed many demos for clients with great results and happy customers. I hope this doesn't cause too many problems
MB
Marc Beningson
Jan 26, 2014

Well the position is posted on their careers page.

Any takers?

ST
Seth Thompson
Jan 27, 2014

May be the new VP will say hey a reset button what a novel thought!!!!

TW
Tom Wilson
Jan 27, 2014
JH
John Honovich
Jan 27, 2014
IPVM

My guess is that a reset button is not an engineering issue (super trivial to implement) but a product management / marketing one.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2014
IPVM

Update March 2014, Arecont has selected Sri Rama Prasanna Pavani. A researcher with a strong academic background, he has limited work experience and none in the surveillance industry. He evidently had been working at Arecont for a short period of time prior to his promotion to VP of Engineering.

Talk around the industry was that the 'several strong candidates' Arecont said they were pursuing was not very successful. As one noted, taking the job would be like 'marrying into the Kardashians.'

JM
John Martinez
Mar 10, 2014

How is this scenario different then when lenel was gobbling up market share. Same type of engineering driven approach. Maybe they want to take a breather and let the sales and marketing channel catch up.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2014
IPVM

Can you clarify what you mean by 'take a breather'? Are Arecont's products just too good and innovative that they need to hold engineering back?

JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2015
IPVM

Update, the replacement VP of Engineering is gone already as well.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions