Subscriber Discussion

Are You A Security Thought Leader?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 05, 2013
Marty Major
Mar 05, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

Personally, I am skeptical of anyone claiming to be one since, imo, 'Thought Leader' is a title to be bestowed, not claimed.

**No offense meant to the 40% (currently) who've voted yes :)

JH
John Honovich
Mar 05, 2013
IPVM

Every person who I have seen proclaim themselves a security thought leader in the media has never published an original thought. It seems a title claimed by sales and marketing people to puff themselves up.

Carl Lindgren
Mar 05, 2013

I'm a fart smeller...I mean smart feller!

JB
Jeremy Binder
Mar 06, 2013
Thiel Strategic Communications

Being thoughtful of others brings value in any industry. But I suppose that is not what you are asking John.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2013
IPVM

Charlie, good distinction. The way 'thought' is typically used in this context is about being a 'visionary' or having 'great ideas', not being considerate.

Marty Major
Mar 06, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

Nine out of ten wikipedia editors agree. "...a person or an entity that is recognized by peers for having progressive and innovative ideas."

JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2013
IPVM

In that case, these guys can all just recognize each other.

Marty Major
Mar 06, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

That's both funny and astute.

In our insular industry, who determines who the thought leaders are? Trade mags that run the stories of 3 letter types from big name manufacturers? Industry associations? (not coincidentally, largely comprised of those same 3 letter types writing those articles)

I maintain that a lot of the actual thought leaders in our industry toil behind the scenes, lacking access to the 'established' platform with which others might take notice....

or something.

JB
Jeremy Binder
Mar 06, 2013

Ask an educated end users and a they may define a "security thought leader" as the one who met their business need of securing their people and property, with the most scalable, cost effective solution and services. I simply cannot get away from ethical security integrators, manufacturers or consultants being "thoughtful", thus making a difference in the lives of their customers. Call me pollyanna, but I will sleep well tonight.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2013
IPVM

Strictly speaking, based on the general accepted definition, you can't be a thought leader and toil behind the scenes :)

That said, and to Charlie's point, if you could somehow track who the 'best' people in the industry are - the people who know the most and deliver that into real customer value - I bet it would be dominated by people from small companies who never get to speak at conferences.

Christopher Uiterwyk
Mar 07, 2013
IPConfigure

SIA is void of thought leaders, we won't be entering the next "most interesting thing" at this years ISC-W product showcase competition.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 06, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Every time I hear 'thought leader', this clip cues in my mind's eye:

Luis Carmona
Mar 06, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I'm a thought leader. Just not everyone has come around to my way of thinking. Maybe for now I'm really just an opinion leader.

Brian Karas
Mar 06, 2013
Pelican Zero

> I'm a thought leader. Just not everyone has come around to my way of thinking. Maybe for now I'm really just an opinion leader.

"Opinion Leader". What a great thought... I'm stealing that.

JB
Jeremy Binder
Mar 06, 2013

Just to clarify the "Opinion Leader" classification...is this title defined as the amount of opinions or the weight of opinions?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 06, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Opinions are like earlobes. Everyone has a couple that are ultimately worthless.

A true "Thought Leader" values Quality over Quantity, but volume is entire dependent on how gifted they are.

Luis Carmona
Mar 06, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Dude....... this is a serious discussion. 8Þ

Brian Karas
Mar 06, 2013
Pelican Zero

Charlie:

Yes.

Carl Lindgren
Mar 06, 2013

"volume is entire dependent on how gifted they are."

Gifted

Christopher Freeman
Mar 07, 2013

Yes but I push to the limits and sometimes don't know when to stop. Sometimes pushing to the pt of irritation.

When you provoke people to think, think outside the box, you sometime push buttons and they have to deal with them. Not always pleasant, and not always liked, but when you see the reviews & answers you realized the end is justified by the means.

I like to make people go beyond the surface and think of other areas and ideas. I love challenging debates that really bring out the in depth thoughts.

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 08, 2013

Why does the term "Thought Leader" sound like something from a Dilbert strip?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2013
IPVM
Sean Nelson
Mar 09, 2013
Nelly's Security

This thread has really lead me to think about some things!

Brian Karas
Mar 09, 2013
Pelican Zero

> This thread has really lead me to think about some things!

Lead the way...

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 09, 2013

Ooooh wait, I misunderstood, it's actually "lead", pronounced "led"?

That explains a lot!

ME
Mark Edmonds
Mar 11, 2013

I'm a thought leader. For example, I'm the first person to have thought so....

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions