Subscriber Discussion

Are Smash N Grab Thieves Getting Smarter?

Brian Karas
Jul 28, 2016
IPVM

A California homeowner came home to his cameras (look like Foscams?) in the sink under running water.

The cameras were still plugged in, the theory being the water would short them out and destroy them.

Seems like a good argument for SD Card+Local Recording+Push Event Clips to Cloud.

Also a good argument for not having your security cameras sitting on windowsills.

Has anyone else heard of thieves trying to not just disable, but also destroy cameras in something similar to this?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 28, 2016
IPVM

If the thieves were so smart, why wouldn't they just steal them? Am I missing something?

Brian Karas
Jul 28, 2016
IPVM

A brand new one is $61 on Amazon. What's the resale value on a used camera? Why carry something of no value that could only serve as further evidence of a crime?

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 28, 2016
IPVM

Well because if they stole them, the chance of the police getting the video would be much lower, considering the police did get the video with the cameras in the sink.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Since the cameras record on motion, perhaps the cloud savvy theif was trying to exhaust the cameras cloud retention period by using the running water as a recording trigger. I believe some plans allow just a few hours a month total.

Perhaps he was not as savvy about electronics, or perhaps the rising water level caused the cameras to fall into their subject.

So you can't take them if you need them to record over evidence right?

;)

Bob Kusche
Jul 28, 2016

I think it was a gesture (think middle finger) to the homeowner.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions