Subscriber Discussion

Apartment Unit Alarm Panels/Monitoring

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 31, 2017

How are alarms handled in apartment units that are installed by developer/management?

Does the management company have anything to do with the billing, monitoring etc? Who does the dealer bill? Tenant or apartment community?

PA
Pat Alvaro
Aug 01, 2017

Typically, since the alarm system resides "inside" the privately owned unit it's up to the individual tenant to seek out a service provider to monitor his or her unit. The service provider or dealer thus deals directly with the apartment owner.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 01, 2017

From what I have seen, this is exactly how it works in privately owned condos.

Michael Silva
Aug 01, 2017
Silva Consultants

One major apartment developer that I work with has the individual apartment units pre-wired for burglar alarms by one of the national companies. Residents are then given the option of having an alarm system installed and monitored by this company at their own expense.

Because the pre-wire was done at no cost by the alarm company, I believe that there is something within the lease that states that only this company can be used to install a system. The resident is also required to give the property manager a code for the alarm so that staff can enter the apartment in case of an emergency

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions