Subscriber Discussion

Anyone With Multisite Milestone Access Experience?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 26, 2016

I standardized on Milestone Corporate a few years ago to replace DVR systems located throughout my company. I'm now looking to standardize on a new access control system to replace the individual systems at these sites. .

I'm disappointed that Milestone Access is dependent on an external access control system to function. I'm assuming it adds unwanted complexity to the entire system.

Does anyone have experience with Milestone Access in a multisite environment?

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Milestone Updates Access For 2016

Brian Rhodes
Sep 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm disappointed that Milestone Access is dependent on an external access control system to function. I'm assuming it adds unwanted complexity to the entire system.

The degree of integration between Milestone's 'wrapper' and the underlying system vary. Not all functions supported in the parent access platform are guaranteed to be available in Milestone's front end, especially things like custom reporting, schedule/card holder maintenance, and hardware configuration.

Milestone Access may be useful for consolidating live control into the VMS, but it won't replace the need, perhaps even frequent need, to interact with the underlying platform.

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Sep 26, 2016
Milestone Systems

I work for Milestone

Milestone's Access Control Framework makes it possible to integrate the basic features of cardholder management and door control into Milestone's UI from one or more access control systems of the same or different type. If your users prefer to use the Smart Client then it "doesn't matter" which access control system(s) are used - assuming there is an integration already available. See the link below for existing ACM integrations.

https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/xprotect-addons/xprotect-access/

So the better question to ask is which access control system out of this list is best suited for your environment and needs? There are also other systems with integrations predating the access control framework so you're not necessarily limited to this list either.

Hopefully someone else here can ask the right questions to guide you toward the right access control system for you.

Cheers,

Josh

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Sep 30, 2016

Any way to find out what the plans are for Axis access control to be expanded and further integrated into Milestone?

Josh Hendricks
Oct 01, 2016
Milestone Systems

I don't have any details about upcoming changes to the Access Control Framework but if you have any particular requests I'd gladly pass that over to our product management team.

Are there any specific changes you are hoping for or additional functionality you are looking for? I can't promise they would be implemented of course but I can certainly raise the discussion.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions