Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Used Amped Wireless?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Anyone use Amped Wireless? They seem to make a pretty solid product, plus US based tech support. I've sold a bunch of them with not much feedback, positive or negative.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Engenius Or Ubiquiti?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 30, 2014
IPVM

I've never heard of them before but their Inc 500 profile lists them as a 26 person, $14.3 million company founded in 2008.

Might they be an OEM, sort of like the Q-See of wireless units?

MB
Mike Baron
Sep 09, 2014

Disclosure: I am an employee of HauteSpot Networks; a wireless manufacturer

I took a look at Amped Wireless's documentation. They are using 802.11b/g/n wireless protocols (just like Cisco, Linksys, D-Link, Netgear). You don’t want to use standard Wi-Fi/Wireless protocols for IP CCTV applications, especially when you are doing point-to-multipoint wireless topologies.

You want to use a TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) or a TDMA-like channel access protocol for wireless IP CCTV applications.

The reason why is long winded but to simplify, wireless Access Points running 802.11b/g/n are using the CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access/Collision Avoidance) channel access protocol which does not have the mechanisms to control how much and when the transmitters send data, resulting in high rates of wireless collisions, dropped frames, video loss, H.264 ghosting and other issues you don’t want to deal with.

TDMA gives the base station/wireless receiver the means to control when and how much each transmitter wirelessly transmits, effectively orchestrating the symphony that is wireless.

Further Reading: Google CSMA vs. TDMA

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions