Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Use Motion Sensors With Integrated Video For Alarm Verification?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 03, 2017

-This is not referring to covert cctv-

We have not used these before and would like to know more about your experience with them. Pros/cons?

We use DSC Wireless PowerG PIR Security Motion Detector with Camera but if anyone else uses a different brand your input is welcome. 

Maybe a good product for an IPVM test?

Ethan Ace
Jan 03, 2017

I used to install Videofied back in 2008/2009ish. The company I worked for at the time has continued to do so.

The pro was easy: you could actually see what was causing the alarm. Mainly this was used for the central station to verify, but we sent MMS images to some cell phones, as well. People loved it compared to the blind alternative. I don't have actual stats, but anecdotally it drastically cut down false alarms.

It also allows the detector to be used outside, since alarms are filtered by an actual human at the monitoring center (or on a user's mobile phone). You still have to be careful with placement, as outdoor PIRs can go crazy, but it's not something that's real common with "blind" PIRs at all. DSC also has an outdoor model.

The main con was the size of the detector, as it was quite large, about 6"+, so not exactly unobtrusive (though they've gotten smaller). The system as a whole wasn't super flexible, either. It had limited detector support (motions and door contacts only, pretty much), and limited inputs on the panel. 

You also have to be sure your central station can handle the images from the system you're using. I think this has gotten better and more widely supported, but back then our main CS didn't do video at all, and we only had a handful of options for those that supported Videofied. Might not be as big an issue now, but still double check.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions