Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Pick Up An Axis Camera Lately? What Firmware Did It Come With?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

There was a discussion about wanting Axis to pay for firmware upgrades needed, due to this nearly universal vulnerability.

Although that seems unlikely, I was wondering if they have done anything to prevent any more cameras being distributed with the flaw.

Doing the firmware update en masse without a truck roll at the DC would be a safer and cheaper way of getting the job done.

Or at least the distributor could enclose a red warning in the camera box to upgrade, or mention in it at the POS.

Because I think it's likely that a good proportion on non-IPVM Axis dealers are unaware, based on how low key the info is on Axis' site.

But maybe distribution is fixing them before they go out. Is that ever done?

Gert Molkens
Aug 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

5.30.x.x on a M1025 so that wasn't the latest. Not sure if it had the vulnarabilty but upgraded it anyway. I think that's good practice anyhow.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks, Gert.

5.50.5.7 is the latest and only release without the vulnerability for the M1025, according to the Axis website.

Yes, downloading the latest firmware is always smart; if everyone is like you they won't even have to be reminded. :)

Gert Molkens
Aug 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We do it as a routine everytime we stop by a customer for whatever intervention.

It's a long standing discussion wheter to do this or not. Don't trynto fix smething that's not broken is the general idea for not doing it.

I haven't seen many cases where a firmware upgrade did break something but sure it does happen once in a while. Last one i had was a Sony CH110 that blocked in thenmiddle of his upgradeprocedure. That happens more and usually this is easily remedied by resettingnit to factorybdefaults. Not so this time, can't get in anymore. In the SNC toolbox it does show up but it says it's in DHCP mode while displaying its zero conf 169.254.x.x address. Can't get to it on that address either.

So in this case, i replaced it but then the question arises, how will the customer react and how willing will he be to paynfor a new one since the old one provided pictures as needed beforenthe upgrade. I'll probablu have to check with Sony how they deal with this kind of situation but since it's out of warranty,,i won't set my hopes up high...

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's a long standing discussion wheter to do this or not.

Yes, it is. must confess I'm more in the IIABDFI camp. Perhaps it's just a way to justify my laziness, but at least the first digit has to change to get any real motivation going.

But, upgrading the firmware before first deployment is inarguable in my opinion.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 08, 2016

The latest cameras we recieved were fully updated.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Did they (physically) come thru distribution?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 16, 2016

Someone at ASIS.....if you find him, ask him.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions