Subscriber Discussion

What VMSes Copy Relevant Footage From Multiple Scenes / Times To An Export?

Tom McFeely
Jul 26, 2016

We are looking for a CCTV solution that has the capability of grouping playback footage in the following manner:

Fox example, let’s say an intruder gains access to one part of a building and ends up getting caught in another area, and finally gets handed to police an hour later. During this time various cameras have captured footage of the person going through the building before being handed over.

In order to have the break-in to the arrest on one cctv file, most systems would require all of the cameras with the relevant footage to be copied for the whole hour.

We are looking for a solution that brings together only the relevant footage from each camera for the times identified by the user. For example:

Cam 01 23:30 - 23:34
Cam 07 23:34 - 23:46
Cam 02 23:40 - 23:51
Cam 04, 05, 23:49 - 00:27

To have camera 01 copied for the entire 57 minutes when it only has 4 minutes of relevant footage is a waste of resources.

We've never came across a product that does this, but we've heard they do exist. Any suggestions?

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 26, 2016

Avigilon ACC 5 has this option now when you export video. You can select different times from different cameras and combine them in one exported clip.

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 26, 2016
IPVM

Tom, good question. I think the solution is bookmarking the relevant clips and then putting those bookmarks into a case and then exporting that case. Even if the VMS does not support cases (some do, most don't), almost all support bookmarks, I'd then bookmark each segment, exporting them individually.

(2)
Tom McFeely
Jul 26, 2016

Thank you John and thank you Michael. I've bookmarked segments in the past using Exacq I think it was, but from what Michael is telling me about Avigilon, that looks promising.

Thanks again guys

(1)
BB
Bill Braun
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Tom,

I recommend looking into Genetec's visual tracking. http://www.genetec.com/solutions/resources/visual-tracking-feature-focus

GC
Greg Cortina
Jul 26, 2016

Our low cost DVR/NVR's have a backup feature that allows you to select start and stop time by camera to add into a backup. Each are separate files but this is what you describe.

FLIR

Greg

Ryan Hulse
Jul 26, 2016

With the exacqVision Enterprise edition, you can collect multiple different bookmarks into a case and then export the case to our .exe format (embedded player w/ video). The playback will play all the cameras segments back chronologically, based on the start time order of the clips.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 26, 2016

Genetec provides a feature called Incident Recording. This takes the various video clips and creates an export file, that file can be edited, then exported as a "end-to end" clip. It also creates a incident, that can be classified, described, and then later retrieved from an easy incident report. It is a standard feature

EN-Genetec-[Incident-Recording]-Feature-Focus.pdf

Luis Carmona
Jul 26, 2016
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Geutebruck has had this feature for years, called Cut List. You can put together your own Cut List, or give yourself a head start by selecting relevant events and sending them to the Cut List editor.

This is a How To on how the Cut List works for Geutebruck's previous version of software, GeViScope. I don't have one for their new GCore software, but it still works the same.

Best viewed full screen.

DD
Dan Droker
Jul 26, 2016
LONG Building Technologies • IPVMU Certified

Also S2's video solution (Exacq recording engine, but their own UI), and Pelco VideoExpert provide this functionality.

RR
Richard Ramsowr
Jul 26, 2016

Wavestore USA offers this feature in a simple four step process. check it out

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 26, 2016

Milestone has this feature called Storyboarding

JH
John Honovich
Aug 09, 2016
IPVM

Milestone forward a demo video that explains how storyboarding works.

Note: though they call it storyboarding, in the UI, it is labeled 'export list' as you can add multiple clips / segments / videos to a list and then export them together.

Video embedded:

Tom McFeely
Jul 27, 2016

Well, I am overwhelmed at the number of suggestions put forward, and I thank all of you most sincerely for your help. I guess I've got some homework to do!

MC
Mauricio Cañas
Jul 27, 2016

You can take a look to victor VMS incident builder where you can put together video, images, documents, logs and even thrid party documents into a case.

victor incident builder

JL
Jerry Larsen
Jul 27, 2016

Tom,

Yes, the Pivotal Vision VMS can do what you are asking plus more. Our technology is an autonomous VMS that is EVENT based instead of individual camera based. It has built-in intelligence founded on geo-referenced analysis and tracking that can be from multiple cameras simultaneously including PTZ’s. Not only does it pull out and organize recorded snippets of relevant activity from groups of cameras into EVENTS for after the fact review but as the activity unfolds it organizes LIVE streams and presents real time portal windows in sequence as the object moves from one camera FOV to the next.

In the example below, the live videos are automatically presented in sequence with the red box and audible alarm. Since the coordinates of all objects are known by the system, it tracks them from multiple cameras and plots their location in a Sky view that can be a map for exteriors and scaled building layouts for interiors. It also generates a bread crumb trail (red line) of the path of each intruder in real time as they move about.

When the object enters the first camera view an Event ID is generated which is used to link time and location stamped video from different cameras to the same “event”. If the object remains in continuous view of any of the cameras on site all the video feeds will be linked to the Event ID. Below you can see that an event was created when there was visual motion validated in a specific 3 dimensional analysis zone. The corresponding video from 4 separate cameras is then linked to the individual event ID.

When you click on the link to the video the system presents all 4 camera views together synchronized by time so all of the video can be reviewed as a single event and also exported and saved as such.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 27, 2016

If it's not already obvious, Jerry is the COO of Pivotal Vision. Should be noted on his post.

And, my conscience requires me to say this -- be careful with Pivotal Vision.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions