Subscriber Discussion

Fix For Axis PTZ That Work With AC/DC 24V Power But Not PoE

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 10, 2018

doesn't power camera? I've got about 70 units all with the same problem. I thought it was my LLDP settings, but I've tried tons of different PoE switches, all the Axis injectors, Even 120W PoE injectors...

Nothing. When I plug in to a weak 24V DC power supply, works just fine. All firmware upgraded too. These are all in the older Q60XX series or P33 Series PTZs. I'm guessing maybe the 3V battery is needing replacement? Maybe there is a new PCB driver available? Maybe a NIC driver that needs updating, a script to load on...? I'm lost on this one. 

How I got 70 of these...That's a story for another day. Thoughts? Experts?

(1)
DB
Dean B
Mar 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am interested in learning more as well. I have several axis ptz's that just died within the last year. I was not aware that these can be powered with a power source other than P0E. The solution was/is to replace them which is costly. I haven't thrown them out because it is such a waste. I have been looking for a repair facility or a solution to this problem. 

Jonathan Pine
Mar 15, 2018

David,  Renova Technology repairs large volumes of these cameras.  I am fairly confident we can assist you.  Many of the P33 Series have a bad component on the motherboard. The older Q60XX series should be solvable with a POE.  If you wish, you may contact my engineering team.  Jonathan

David Warren
Mar 11, 2018
Security Network Advisors LLC

Cross Posted from another thread.

SOLUTION:

Solution

So after trying everything I could think of, I finally have these working again. Simple, but because there is so little documentation Axis has on this, it took forever to find the right size terminal blocks most people at Axis didn't even know this 5502-491 Multi-connector cable for audio/power existed.

What I did:

1. Took the 48V PoE from the switch, and put this PD splitter I had received as a demo from a factory partner next to the camera.

2. Grabbed a patch cable for Ethernet in to the RJ45 port, took the DC 24V out and wired it up to match the power on the multi-connector cable.

3. Unit fires right back up. I'll keep running it for a couple days, but worked on the P55 and the Q60 series cameras.

I've got enough I need this for that I'm going to have the factory prewire these for me so it's plug and play. If anyone else wants a few, let me know. The unit I'm holding is hardened and has 24W (+/-) Output. I'll likely use the indoor splitter from the same factory Axis makes theirs.

If anyone from Axis reads this, feel free to hit me up and I'd gladly let you make this instead. I'm in a hurry though, so I'll probably do a run of at least 100 so I can get a few customers up and running.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 11, 2018

Just to clarify, you are using a PoE splitter to get DC output from PoE and connecting that to the camera power input.  You are sending PoE to the camera side, but using another device, which you need for each camera, and not using true PoE in to the camera?  Sees like there is an issue with the camera that is still not resolved.  
Thus, this is a great hack, but doesn't resolve the actual problem.  It will be interesting to head from Axis.

I know LLDP can be an issue on some switches as previously mentioned.  For Cisco switches, you may also need to disable their own CDP version.

Also make sure LLDP is enabled globally on the switch and per port/VLAN.  I have seen HP switches that require this.

David Warren
Mar 11, 2018
Security Network Advisors LLC

Correct. It's not ideal, but it keep the camera in service. 

There are so many of these going down right now that there has to be some compatibly issue with the newer network gear creating a handshake and sending PoE up to the PTZ Ethernet port. I'm positive that this could be fixed with a firmware patch, but is Axis really going to do spend time updating their firmware on units that are 3-6 years old? 

Being a sales guy, I'd use the opportunity to get the end users to upgrade to the new product and maybe give a discount to upgrade. Either way will be labor intensive and would cost time & money for everyone involved. 

These are the days I miss the Pelco analog spectra's. I still work with clients with units 10+ years old running as smooth as the day they were installed. 

DB
Dean B
Jul 29, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Hi David,

Where did you get the white connector that fits into the P5532?? I don't think Axis is supplying new boards for these. 

Thanks

dean

JH
John Honovich
Mar 11, 2018
IPVM

David, I am glad to see you found a solution. I've forwarded this discussion to Axis to see what feedback they have.

(1)
(1)
DB
Dean B
Jun 11, 2019
IPVMU Certified

John,

Did you ever hear back from Axis?? I posted on this forum back on March 10 2018.  I still have at least 20 axis ptz's of various types, mostly Q 6054, 6052's in need of repair.  I have to visit as site tomorrow that has 3 axis ptz's that are down. It is getting ridiculous as to the amount of axis ptz's i have had to replace. Axis is by far my favorite, but I am really shocked at the amount of PTZ's that just plain quit working. 

Dean

Jonathan Pine
Jun 11, 2019

Dean,  this just appeared on my feed from IVPM.  Are you and John still having trouble with the Axis PTZ's?  If so, we would welcome the opportunity to be of assistance.  jpine@renovatechnology.com 404.520.0432

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Mar 12, 2018

I hope you're not in a cold environment. I suspect the 24v input also is going to run the heater in the camera and when it kicks on, it's probably going to draw more power than your POE line can supply

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 12, 2018

In that case, I've been using a 60W injector on the other side and a 60W splitter. The whole thing is ridiculous, but I had to do something as I was the one being blamed for the issue because the assumption that my PoE switches were causing the issues.

It's cost me a lot of money and time, but at least we now know it's not our problem. 

Jonathan Pine
Mar 15, 2018

We believe we have the answer for you and are working on it.  Best regards!  Jonathan Pine at renova technology. 404.520.0432

Jonathan Pine
Mar 15, 2018

The q60xx requires a higher voltage POE injector, which we can provide.  We are working on the price per injector.  The P33 series has bad component(s) on the motherboard, which we can repair.  If you are interested in having us repair them, please contact me via email at jpine@renovatechnology.com.   Please reference IVPM.

Jonathan

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Mar 16, 2018

Jonathan: Do you require a minimum number of units, or can we send in 1,2 or 3 as they fail?  I am having problems with the P-5534 series, and they are dropping like crazy.   They just quit for unknown reasons.  I have tried replacing the 3v battery, with no luck.  I was the one who started the original thread last year on the issue.  Axis did help me out and replace 5 that had failed at the time, but I have many more, and I am loosing 1-2 a month!!!  My budget cant sustain this in the long run.  

Jonathan Pine
Mar 16, 2018

We do not have a minimum number of units.  I am confident that we can help, hopefully within your budget.  I have asked our Engineering Dept to reach out to you.  Please email me (I hope I am not breaking IVPM rules here -- someone please tell me if so) at jpine@renovatechnology.com.   

JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2018
IPVM

That's fine since it's directly on topic to a member's request.

Jonathan Pine
Mar 16, 2018

Hello, We should be able to support the repair of these Axis cameras. I would like to see at least 2-3 cameras (same model) sent into Renova. We can evaluate the issues you're experiencing and determine what's the root cause failure. If you're interested. I'll have a Customer Service Rep. contact you to help with our RMA processes.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Caswell
Sep 25, 2019

I contacted Axis about this very issue, they had not heard of it they claimed, and wanted the standard 700 for an out of warranty repair.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions